We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bachelorette

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quincy...
Bachelorette

I am bringing about 10 girls over to the island for the day portion of a bachelorette weekend. We are coming back and staying the night in Narragansett.

My question is - what is the best thing to plan for these girls. It's a lot so going in with a plan is best and I have never been. Our initial thought was to just do a beach day with drinks. We won't have a car.

The questions going through my mind - if we bring food, is there a picnic area? Can we bring alcohol over? Is there any place to store our coolers if we want to explore and not lug them around? Where is the main shopping & restaurants compared to where the ferry drops us. Lastly, what is the ferry situation for a Saturday in July? How early do we need to get there (planning on either the 9:30 or 10:30a).

Thanks everyone!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 38
1. Re: Bachelorette

Most all of the restaurants, bars and shopping are right off the ferry in Old Harbor. My suggestion would be to skip the coolers and if you want to hang on or near a beach while having a few drinks and perhaps hearing some music and a little dancing the best bet would be to go ver to Ballards. They usually have bands playing outside on the weekend and I guarantee if you tell them it was a bachlorette party you'd get the songs you wanted and maybe more.

After the time on the beach at Balllards you can walk artound the rest of Old Harbor for shopping, a few more drinks, whatever...

JDP

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 70
2. Re: Bachelorette

JDP gives good advice. Just FYI it is illegal to possess alcohol on RI state beaches and I believe all towns also have the same restriction. Ballard's is fun.

Leonia
reviews: 17
3. Re: Bachelorette

I think Ballards is a fun place to hang out but you may want to consider renting bikes and driving to the Northern lighthouse. You can stop about half way to very beautiful beaches. I think the beaches further away from the old harbor are the nicest. I have done this trip with most of my girl friends and sometimes a big group. We bike to the northern lighthouse and bike about half way back is the Oar. It's a fun place on New Harbor with great drinks and is beautiful. We then either keep biking or bike directly to one of the beaches. Last stop is ballards. I've also seen people do bar crawls in BI. There are plenty of little stores right when you arrive into the slip. You could just hang around that area most of the day and do Ballards like the other poster suggested. Biking is just a better way to see the island which is beautiful.

Fairfield...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Bachelorette

Hi Jackson0722,

You will definitely want to hit Ballard's as the others mentioned, but having been to a bachelorette or two, I know you won't want to start the serious drinking until after 2 at the earliest... or the ferry and car rides back will be no fun at all.

I'd get to the ferry about 30 minutes before its scheduled departure. They don't let you on until 15 minutes before, as they are loading cars and such. But the earlier you are in line, the better, especially because the 10 of you will want to sit together and it will be hard to find seats together if you're running late. I've never been turned away for an overcrowded ferry, even on a Saturday, just seating will be your issue.

At the Ferry terminal in Block, there are restrooms and lockers, which will only fit a towel and small cooler (think kids lunch box). Personally, I wouldn't bother with bringing drinks. But if you have a rowdier crew, they may want them for the beach. But again, drinking in the hot sun all day takes it toll on bachelorette parties.

Directly across the street from the ferry landing is 'downtown'. Almost every shop and several restaurants are all right there, including bike/moped rentals and taxis. The beach is about a 10-15 minute walk from town, just ask anyone which way and they'll happily direct you.

If you'd like my very specific advice, here it is-

I'd get the 10:30 ferry, which will get you there at 11:30. You can grab lunch to go from any of the 10 restaurants/ pizza places/sandwich shoppes along the way, or have a bowl of chowder and mussels at the National Hotel on the deck, or a salad at Sharkey's. Head to Benson Town Beach, which is the closest one, but also the only one with lifeguards, snack bar, and SHOWERS. Have lunch, hang out, and shower around 3pm.

After the 10 minute walk back to town, hop in and out of shops, and grab some ice cream at Aldo's or The Ice Cream Shoppe, before you stop at the ferry landing to throw your bags and such into lockers. (You may want to hang on to towels for Ballard's so you can sit on the beach, or you can just eat at tables on their patio.) Then head straight to Ballard's (two minutes from the Ferry Landing). Have some happy hour drinks on the beach, listen to some live music, join a volleyball game... and if you love it, stay for dinner! Have a great time, you're so nice to be planning this for your friends!

cape cod
5. Re: Bachelorette

Excellent advice everyone! :)

6. Re: Bachelorette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Block Island