We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teenagers?

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Teenagers?

Hello all!

We will be traveling to Block Island for 2 weeks this summer (last week of July and the first week of August). This will be our 3rd time going to Block Island in the past 5 years, however I still haven't seen many teenaged kids. We have two sons 19, 16 and an 18 year old daughter... what would be some good places for them to hangout?

Thanks

Mary S.

7 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 38
1. Re: Teenagers?

With no malls or shopping centers, part of the allure of the island, you are right there isn't a lot of teenage activity. The beach, hiking and biking are the best activities for teens in my opinion. There are of course a few arcades around, little game rooms where they can play video games. Two of them might be of legal age to ride a moped around the island, though I would check that. There is also horse back riding on the beach. And of course fishing, finding a charter perhaps to go out on.

JDP

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 38
2. Re: Teenagers?

It just dawned on me that another place to look for activities or ideas would be the Block Island Times, block-island.villagesoup.com. They will list a lot of what is happening on the island and something might emerge there.

JDP

Belize City, Belize
reviews: 1
3. Re: Teenagers?

I would like to go to Block Island for a day in August. We live in Ridgefield, Ct.

Would it be better to take the ferry from New London or Point Judith? New London is closer but it is an hour ride across. I plan on returning the same day.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Teenagers?

BI makes a great day trip. The ferry from PJ takes an hour too, or fast ferry takes 1/2 hour. Just be sure to find a way around the island; bikes, rent a moped, a tour, etc. It's a beautiful place.

Bethlehem...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Teenagers?

If you take the ferry (hi speed or traditional) from Pt Judith you will have many more time choices for the return trip back. When we go for the day (a two and a half trip to PJ for us) we like to maximize our time on BI so we always go to PJ. The drive from New London to PJ is never a problem (ie no traffic jams) and the parking lots in PJ are plentiful.

Boston...
reviews: 63
6. Re: Teenagers?

There actually are lots of teenagers. They work as waitresses, busboys, etc. They (particularly the girls) sunbathe on the beach between the pavilion and Old Town in the morning and early afternoon - before they go to work. A friend of mine followed this routine when she was in high school and college.

Part of the charm of Block Island is the slow pace and lack of commercialization. It's not the ideal vacation spot for teens looking for excitement.

Rhode Island
reviews: 55
7. Re: Teenagers?

There are lots of activities for teenagers on Block Island, they just aren't what most kids are used to doing at home. The unreliable internet service can also make teenagers very fussy! Here are a few suggestions of activities they may enjoy:

The Nature Conservancy offers walking tours most days and they are pretty interesting.

You can get clamming licences at the Harbormasters Office and go clamming...it's WAY more fun than it sounds.

You could join the Block Island Club for your two weeks and take advantage of using their sailboats, kayaks and paddleboards.

The Island Free Library has programs going on almost every single day for one age or another. If you are not a resident of RI you can pay $20. for a library card and take out games, puzzles and movies. They also have the best WiFi on the island.

Call the Town of New Shoreham Recreation Department (or check their website) for information on sports camps, events and pick up soccer.

Try renting kayaks or paddleboards down in New Harbor.

Geocaching is very popular and there are lots of them out here.

Go in search of the elusive glass-floats (visit the tourism council website for more info on this).

Go to the movies.

Pick up a book at the bookstore and read....the best beach activity ever.

Go to the beach nearby to the Town Beach pavilion or a little bit north by the volleyball nets. Lots of teenagers hang out there to play/watch volleyball.

Go to Ball-O'Brien park, there are usually kids playing pick up basketball in the afternoons.

Another idea would be to let them bring a friend if space in your rental home allows.

As I said, there is lots to do, just not what they are likely to be used to doing and that may take some time to get used to.

I hope that you all had a fun time and that your kids will have fond memories.

Reply to: Teenagers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Block Island