We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

extended summer on block island?

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 1
extended summer on block island?

hi all,

really hoping some longtime block islanders can help me with this one!

i am getting married on block island in september - likely the 28th, so the verrrry end of the season. the reason i was initially attracted to block is it's summery/approachable vibe. i want to be outdoors, biking, swimming, etc over the course of the weekend. i know biking and walking and fishing will still be great - but are people still in the water that late in the month? i know, of course, it's going to be situational to a certain degree, but i'm wondering from an overall cultural standpoint/what the usual vibe is.

and... if, while you're responding, you have any other thoughts or advice, i'd love to hear it!

thank you SO much.

jules

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
1. Re: extended summer on block island?

There is one BI'er on here but we haven't seen him lately. I live on another island and can tell you that the first two weeks of Sept can still be summery, and the water is still 'warm' for people that 'like' to swim in the ocean here. At night it alreadys get cool, even in late August. Later in Sept the days gets fall-like. My bday is the 30th, and I often try to swim on it, but typically the weather just isn't that nice anymore. You could get lucky and have some warmer days, like 70F, but anything less the that is going to be cool and breezy, especially on island. Also, BI does sort of seem to close right up after Labor Day, more so than on the mainland.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 39
2. Re: extended summer on block island?

The island really closes down after Columbus Day. This past season it did seem to be a little busier than usual after Labor Day, especially on the weekends.

Yes, it is situational. The weather could be great and if a little warmer the water nice too. For your sake I hope it is!!

JDP

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 80
3. Re: extended summer on block island?

The water will be in the mid-60s then. It would be more like a quick dunk and a dash for a warm towel than playing in the water. Early fall weather is my favorite.

Good luck with the wedding! Hope the weather is perfect for you. But do have a "plan B" if the worst happens.I do know of a wedding that was canceled due to the ferry not running because of a bad storm.

4. Re: extended summer on block island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Block Island
Recent Conversations