We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Block Island Ferry question

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
reviews: 8
Block Island Ferry question

Just got to Block Island via the traditional ferry and the conditions were terrible. Everyone was sick. Now I'm a bit nervous for the return trip. Is the high-speed ferry typically smoother?

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
1. Re: Block Island Ferry question

yes, although today's weather conditions were not the most ideal either....

Edited: 7:39 pm, September 28, 2012
boston
2. Re: Block Island Ferry question

We head back Monday. Hoping that the conditions improve.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 39
3. Re: Block Island Ferry question

I have to say that is VERY RARE. We've had some rough seas in the past but nothing like you described. Maybe you want to board early heading back and get one of the table seating areas so you can lay down or get more comfortable if need be rather than sitting up right, but again, I've never seen one where many on the ferry got sick.

JDP

4. Re: Block Island Ferry question

I work for the ferry and travel on it everyday, the conditions from yesterday were a isolated incident from a system passing through. The high speed ferry is not any better or worse as far as the ride is concerned, both boats are feeling the same swells, it comes down to a matter of preference. The traditional ferries experience slow rolls from side to side, while the hi speed experiences quick bumps up and down. The conditions today 9/29/12 are much calmer than yesterday. To wrap up your question though, it really is all preference because the ferries are so different. However, I urge u to ignore the post about finding a spot Inside to lay down, whenever you feel sea sick, the worst thing you can do to yourself is be Inside away from fresh air, and laying down without being able to see the horizon to focus on (because it is a fixed object) is what leads to vertigo and only makes things worse. So, fresh air, a fixed object to focus on, and ride preference. I hope this helps

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 39
5. Re: Block Island Ferry question

When clouds are low on the horizon a fixed object will do you no good BECAUSE THERE ARE NO FIXED OBJECTS. Maybe lying down isn't the answer though it hasn't been a problem for me. Yes, fresh air is good and usually you'll get plenty of it. Otherwise, I agree with everything the prior poster said.

JDP

boston
6. Re: Block Island Ferry question

Thanks for the suggestions. Also glad to hear that was a rare ride. I've never had any motion sickness problems in my life and that was a test. I bought some dramamine for the trip back just in case.

I think we'll try the high speed just to see. Looks like fun.

NY
reviews: 1
7. Re: Block Island Ferry question

Peppermint gum, stay outside, and focus on horizon

8. Re: Block Island Ferry question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 08, 2014