We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in block island in early october.........bikes or car

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
reviews: 4
3 days in block island in early october.........bikes or car

We will be in BI for 3 days early Oct. We are planning on biking but wondering if we should also bring a car? How far to bike the entire island. Thanks

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 74
1. Re: 3 days in block island in early october.........bikes or car

It's relatively easy to bike the entire island. I've done it many times and I"m no athlete. It's a bit hilly. All of the restaurants are located either in New Harbor or Old Harbor. I'm not sure if any in New Harbor will be open in October, so chances are if you stay in Old Harbor you can walk to wherever you want to go to dinner each night. A car is convenient but really not needed.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 39
2. Re: 3 days in block island in early october.........bikes or car

I agree. The island is approximately 7 by 3 miles. Yes, it is hilly is spots but very doable to bike around. The car is only good if the weather isn't great and you want to see the whole island.

JDP

NY, NY
reviews: 45
3. Re: 3 days in block island in early october.........bikes or car

Hi,

As reported above (below) BI is 7x3 miles, but there are parts that are very hilly. I recall 3 BIG hills total from my summers there. The one up from Old Harbor to The Atlantic Inn; the one out by the bluffs/airport & you coast down into New Harbor so you'd have to go uphill to get out, but that's more of a long hill than steep. It will be windy in October but beautiful & a bike is the best way to see the island. We only ever brought the car when bringing a month's worth of supplies.

Enjoy the Block!

C

4. Re: 3 days in block island in early october.........bikes or car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 30, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Block Island