We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day/overnight trip with young kids-what to do?

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 2
day/overnight trip with young kids-what to do?

We're coming to BI late August for an overnight trip with young kids.

So we'll be there part of 2 days.

Any recommendations of what to do? Family of 4 with children between 6-10.

Thanks.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 38
1. Re: day/overnight trip with young kids-what to do?

Outside of a few restaurants, the hotels and inns, and a little shopping, BI is not heavily commercialized so you won't find many amusements for the kids. Of course the best amusement is the beach which will be near the ferry landing. There are also places to find some great ice cream if the kids like that. There is also biking but I'm not sure how much, or how far you would want to do that.

JDP

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
2. Re: day/overnight trip with young kids-what to do?

I just want to add in answering both your questions that I don't want to sound like Block Island isn't kid friendly. It is. It is just that you aren't going to find park rides or things of that nature that kids like. The beach, hiking, biking, ice cream, some of the hotels which do have game rooms, those are the predominate kid activites.

JDP

Queens, NY
reviews: 1
3. Re: day/overnight trip with young kids-what to do?

I go to Block Island every year with my daughter, and I came there every year as a kid. The thing to understand about Block Island is that it isn't really about organized activities. It's about going to the beach a lot and exploring nature.

Here are some of the things my six year old likes to do:

* The beach. Not just one beach. Collecting hermit crabs at Baby Beach, wave jumping at Town Beach, freshwater swimming at Sachem Pond, finding the Spring House spring, collecting driftwood at Dorie's Cove ... every beach is different. One of the joys of BI.

* The playgrounds at Ball-O'Brien and Peckham's.

* Art classes at the bookstore and the historical society.

* Hunting fiddler crabs at Andy's Way.

* Berry picking. There are blackberries all over the island.

* The zoo at the Manisees, especially the extremely free-range chickens. Touring North Light Fibers.

* Having breakfast at the airport diner and watching the little planes take off and land very close to you.

* Walking. Looking for places where fairies are purported to live. Riding behind me on a tagalong tandem bicycle.

* Eating ice cream and Del's.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
4. Re: day/overnight trip with young kids-what to do?

For some reason I always forget the zoo, though I do stop by at least once a year. A great spot.

JDP

Massachusetts
reviews: 19
5. Re: day/overnight trip with young kids-what to do?

Block Island is magical. It is stopped in time where families can bond once again with little or distractions. You truly commune with nature. If I came into crazy money (powerball), I'd first visit an accountant and an attorney and then a real estate agent on Block Island.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 16
6. Re: day/overnight trip with young kids-what to do?

We took our 5yo last summer and had a fantastic time. Years back, we would visit with friends several times a summer and it was a joy to see it again with our son.

In addition to the beaches, our son loved "fishing" for crabs at the dock at the Oar. There were a bunch of other little kids with string, bait, nets and a bucket, catching little crabs. (They set these free, it was just for entertainment).

There is someone that does kayak tours on the salt pond and she said our 5yo was welcome but we just couldn't fit it into our schedule.

7. Re: day/overnight trip with young kids-what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Block Island