We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Ballards Beach Private?

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
arlington
Is Ballards Beach Private?

I am looking to book a room at the end of August and want to be close to a nice beach area. Ballards advertises their beach as private. Do you need to be a hotel guest to use the beach around Ballards? I am looking at Atlantic Inn, Spring House, and the National as well.

What hotels would you reccomend for easy beach access as well as the hotel being nice and clean? Are there any beach bar areas besides Ballards?

Thanks and appreciate any help!

Bethlehem...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Is Ballards Beach Private?

I would suggest that you book a room at the Surf Hotel which overlooks the 7 mile stretch of beach which includes State, Scotch and Mansion Beach. The Blue Dory and Avonlea are located next to the Surf and just as close to beach. Most of the hotels/B&Bs near the ferry are close to the beach. Yellow Kittens and Capt Nicks are the bars to go to and they are located near any of the aforementioned places. The Atlantic and Spring House are a good walk to the beach and the National is right on the main drag as you get off the ferry.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 38
2. Re: Is Ballards Beach Private?

I agree with everything said by BIvet. What does concern me is Ballard's being a private beach. While i've never stayed there and usually don't recommend doing so, though there have been recent renovations to the rooms, I go there almost every visit during the summer for the music at the outdoor bar and the food. The beach has never been "private" in my experience. Yes, it is a very nice beach, but Crescent beach near the Surf Hotel is indeed quite large and long.

JDP

arlington
3. Re: Is Ballards Beach Private?

It looks like the Surf Hotel has communal bathrooms so I am going to pass on it. Have either of you stayed at the National? Are the rooms dated?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 38
4. Re: Is Ballards Beach Private?

Stayed many times at the National. From the outside the place does look like a turn of the last century old hotel which is part of its charm. There is no elevator. Some rooms are small and there is no AC, fans only. But they all have their own bathroom. If you are staying the weekend try to stay on the second or 3rd floors as every once in a while it can get noisey from the bar closing down below. The bar will often have acoustic music being played, nothing noisey itself, but the patrons can be. Otherwise, I do recommend it. Great food and the view from there veranda is also very good.

Finally, they do have some weekday specials going, something we will be taking advantage of next month.

JDP

arlington
5. Re: Is Ballards Beach Private?

Thanks for the quick response!

Bethlehem...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Is Ballards Beach Private?

We stayed at the Surf for years and never had a problem with the shared baths. The Surf also had an annex (in a smaller building) called Surfside, just down the street and it had private baths so I would imagine if they are using that location that there would be private baths. I believe both The Blue Dory and Avonlea have some rooms/apts with private baths too. From what I understand the oceanview fron the Avonlea is spectacular and you are lulled asleep by the waves at night, it's that close to the ocean.

Edited: 8:37 pm, August 14, 2012
7. Re: Is Ballards Beach Private?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, August 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Block Island