We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring?

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
connecticut
reviews: 2
What to bring?

We are coming for two days, no car. Parking in New London. Staying at the Surf Hotel. Thinking of Ballard's beach and State beach. Would you bother bringing boogie boards and beach chairs? Or should we just rent chairs? Not sure, as we have never been on the island before....

thank you for advice!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 33
1. Re: What to bring?

The Surf under its old management had beach chairs and towels available for it's guests. You might want to call and ask if they still do. It is much easier than hauling all of that over on a crowded ferry.

JDP

Block Island, Rhode...
2. Re: What to bring?

If they don't have what you need at the Surf you can rent chairs and umbrellas at the Town Beach. Ballard's beach provides chairs (and chair-side food/beverage service).

If those are the 2 beaches that you are thinking of then you definitely shouldn't bother lugging your own with you!

Hope you have a great time!

reviews: 66
3. Re: What to bring?

We are vacationing in RI the 3rd week in Aug and want to take a day trip to Block Island. Will we need a car to get around ,rent bikes,or can we see enough on foot?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 64
4. Re: What to bring?

If you want to see the whole island, you should rent bikes. It's really the best way to see the island. It's about 7 miles long so there is no way you can walk the whole thing. Other options are to rent a cab for sightseeing, and then walk around Old Harbor for the day. A *must* see is Northeast Light, which is possibly within walking distance of Old Harbor, but ideally you should take a bike there.

Another *must* see is Crescent Beach (Fred Benson Town Beach). It's seriously the most beautiful beach in the whole state. I LOVE swimming there! The sand is like silk underfoot. There are chair and umbrella rentals, a bath house with showers, food, etc there.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
5. Re: What to bring?

A moped, which you can also easily rent, is lots of fun too and it gets you around a little faster than a bike. While there are parts of the island that are flat, for a bike rider it is a little hilly, at least to me, so that's why I more often rent a moped.

JDP

Bethlehem...
reviews: 3
6. Re: What to bring?

The lighthouse you are referring to is Southeast Light. It is within walking distance but the walking is in part up a steep hill so I think bikes would be the better way to go. If you go past the light house about a quarter mile you will get to Mohegan Bluffs which has a spectacular view. It you are up to it you can climb down the 120+ steps to the beach but remember what goes down must go up.

reviews: 22
7. Re: What to bring?

do i need to pre reserve a moped for tomorrow & tickets too on the ferry? i kno u save a couple bucks but i think that would save me from standing in line?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
8. Re: What to bring?

I've never pre reserved either. The moped I definitely wouldn't pre reserve as you can find them at many places on the island.

As for the ferry, unless you where getting there at the last minute, or were taking a car over, I wouldn't bother doing that either. You want a good seat on the ferry you have to get there early no matter.

JDP

reviews: 22
9. Re: What to bring?

Thank-U JDP i like your advise:)

10. Re: What to bring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 27, 2013