We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Block Island Off-Season

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Britain...
Block Island Off-Season

I was planning to do an overnight trip to BI the 2nd week in April for my husband and myself to get away for a day. Is it worth it or plan another destination?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 39
1. Re: Block Island Off-Season

Under "normal" conditions, meaning more seasonal weather, I would say it isn't worth it yet. The island is still about a month away from really starting to open up. However......... if it stays warm and some restaurants and inns decide to open early it could very well be worth it. If you could possibly do it I would wait until the last minute before deciding. But if you must plan something now I'd say look elsewhere.

JDP

Newport, Rhode...
reviews: 71
2. Re: Block Island Off-Season

It depends on what kind of traveler you are. It is still considered off-season here so many of the shops will either be closed or have shorter hours. Last week was unseasonably warm but now we are back to Spring daytime temperatures in the 40's and 50's, which may not be the best, especially if you want to go to the beach.

Block Island is beautiful at any time of year and the benefit of going off-season is that it is not as crowded with tourists - it's mostly just the locals there. If you just want to sight see and enjoy a relaxing time on a pretty island, then I say go for it. But it you prefer warmer weather, more shopping and dining options, and more of a bustling environment, go over in May or June.

damascus pa
3. Re: Block Island Off-Season

I have visited Block Island for the past 10 years usually the second week In April. I often stay 3-4 days. I never had a year without a couple days that I could bike and hike. I stay at the 1661 Inn, which is a lovely place with gracious folks to take care of all your needs. Yes, most of the stores are closed, but there's something wonderfully special about the quiet of the off-season. I sailed to Block Island once in July and it was overwhelming -- a completely different island. I highly recommend taking a chance on an April visit. Also, there is always at least one restaurant open.

4. Re: Block Island Off-Season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Block Island
Recent Conversations