We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping on block island

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
athol...
camping on block island

people say you can't camp on block island. well i went camping with the boy scouts and camping is allowed for everybody that visits the island so whoever says that there is no camping on block island doesn't know what they are talking about.

Edited: 2:16 pm, March 02, 2012
Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
1. Re: camping on block island

Ok kid, where did you camp? on the beach? in a park? don't the boy scouts get priveledges sometimes...tell us so we can trust in your scout's honor.

Edited: 6:55 pm, March 02, 2012
Rhode Island
reviews: 1
2. Re: camping on block island

As far as I am aware, the Boy Scouts are the only people who are allowed to camp on Block Island.

3. Re: camping on block island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:08 pm, April 30, 2013
Durham, CT
reviews: 2
4. Re: camping on block island

Kyle, there was an older thread addressing this issue and I responded there as well.

As the others said, no, all camping is reserved for Scouts only. I don't recall the camp's name, but it was ( as of 1978 AD ) located immediately east of the airfield at island's center. While the sole site ( not verified ) is large, open and sunny, the island gets a nice breeze at night so some of us slept under the stars. It gets foggy in the morning but that is burned off by the sun quickly. We biked during the day and at night we had fun goofing around on the airfield watching the private planes land feet above our heads. Good thing we didn't get caught.

If I remember correctly there's no amenities at all so all water is brought in. The theme of our stays was a bicycling weekend, so we all brought our bikes and one or two cars to hold the gear. Block Island is perfect if you have a troop of boys wanting to do something as this.

Otherwise, the island is hideously expensive as a getaway. But, it is unique and quite a memorable stay. You make your own fun here and as with anything, the more you research your trip, the better time you'll have. Too many people don't get their information straight and wind up giving this area poor reviews. Good to go there every few years. Save your bucks!

Durham, CT
5. Re: camping on block island

Ha! I do recall the Boy Scout camp name. It was called, Camp Niantic.

US
6. Re: camping on block island

Sorry, but you are wrong. Random camping is not allowed on Block Island. The Boy Scouts are the only ones allowed to camp.

7. Re: camping on block island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 25, 2013