We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

red caboose motel

Which Strasburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pa
reviews: 3
red caboose motel

I have read mixed reviews on this motel....Does anyone know if its completely remodeled yet? Any recommendations? Thanks

WV
reviews: 2
1. Re: red caboose motel

Hi! We stayed at the Red Caboose at the end of July, and when we returned I posted a less than stellar review on this site. It was completely true, but a few days later...Larry the owner actually called me at my home because he was disturbed that we didn't enjoy our stay. He spent about 20 minutes going through the fact that he is still hiring and training housekeeping and front desk staff, and is spending lots of money on remodeling. While the motel itself may have issues, I think if you make sure to arrive during the day while there is plenty of time to talk to the staff (and maybe even Larry) you would have the best experience possible. You might mention that you'd done some homework on the place.....Especially if you are going with children, plan ahead and have an idea of the experience, and I think you'd do fine there...

VA
reviews: 1
2. Re: red caboose motel

I have such fond memories of this motel- my family visited when I was 8 years old. Now, I have an 8 year old myself! We've visited the Red Caboose 4 times in the past 6 years the last visit of which ended today. I am so happy that Mr. DeMarco saw the potential in this charming motel. The motel had come into such neglect and disrepair over the years we weren't sure we'd come back. Upon hearing that it was under new management, we decided to give it another try. This visit, it was obvious that the new owner is pouring belief and funding into revitalizing the motel. New mattresses, carpet, appliances. The restaurant train (which periodically shakes like you are riding a real train) has new curtains, new carpeting, a new chef, a charming new menu and good food! Groundskeepers could be seen shaping up the shrubs, the gift shop used to be so dark and dusty, old and forgotten- now it's bright with new offerings. The renovation is a huge project which will take time- one caboose at a time but Mr. DeMarco has really done so much already. I encourage you to try The Red Caboose Motel with an open heart and an open mind. My kids love it. Ask for a newly renovated caboose (like #2 or #42) and if it doesn't suit, ask to see another one. The staff is accomodating and want you to be happy. I can't wait to come back when the entire project is complete! Remember, it's a motel- not the Holiday Inn, but it has a lot of character and charm.

reviews: 39
3. Re: red caboose motel

From what I heard, Larry DeMarco, the "New Sheriff in town" for the Red Caboose Motel in Strasburg, PA; was a customer himself when he was growing up in Lancaster County, PA. He remembers that special place like I do growing up in the mid-Atlantic area.

Don Denlinger, the first owner from 1970 has been brought into the front office as a consultant to help bring that hotel back from the problems it had been having for years with differnt owners, etc.

So, give Mr. DeMarco a bit more time and more people will be beating a path to his door is my guess.

clarksville,mi
reviews: 9
4. Re: red caboose motel

refund. had to cancle do to car accident. called 3 weeks prior to check in date. still waiting. think twice about this motel.

5. Re: red caboose motel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:22 am, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Strasburg