We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Family Reunion Group in Pittsburgh Summer08

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Suggestions for Family Reunion Group in Pittsburgh Summer08

A group of 7 to 10 families will be meeting in Pittsburgh for a Reunion. nobody is directly from Pittsburgh. It's a weekend event Fri-Sun. Any suggestions on fun things to do and where to stay?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
reviews: 33
1. Re: Suggestions for Family Reunion Group in Pittsburgh Summer08

Some good group Pittsburgh activities:

Kennywood (oldfashioned amusement park, pleasant to stroll around even for those who don't ride. A wide range of rides from very tame for young children to fairly wild)

Baseball game (PNC Park is ranked very highly among the new old-style ball parks. I have almost no interest in watching the game, but go every now and then because the park is so nice. You will rarely have trouble getting tickets, but I'm not sure about fireworks nights, which are popular).

Depending on when you come, the Three Rivers Art Festival runs about 10 days and has a lot of concerts and other activities. Construction downtown will probably change some things this year, but usually this is fun for an afternoon or evening of strolling around.

Pittsburgh History and Landmarks gives walking tours of downtown which I think are very interesting.

Take a boat ride--either the Gateway Clipper which goes up and down the river. I don't think the dinner cruises are worth it but it's been a while and others may have a good recent experience. The other boat possibility is the Just Ducky tour, one of those land/water boats which lots of cities have now.

Ride the incline--you can do this opposite Station Square, which is where the boats leave from too.

Walk around the Strip District--interesting for adults with a keen interest in food, but less interesting for others. Hard to do in a big group because it can get crowded, but you could arrange to meet at a restaurant at a set time, and wander off in smaller groups. Don't miss Enrico's--best biscotti you'll ever have.

Out of town field trip: This won't appeal to all ages, and in fact is not open to all ages, but a tour of Fallingwater in Ohiopyle is worth the drive.

There are lots of other great things to do which are less uniquely Pittsburgh so I left them off e.g. art museum, science museum, natural history museum, conservatory.

Good luck with the reunion!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
reviews: 4
2. Re: Suggestions for Family Reunion Group in Pittsburgh Summer08

If you have kids in your group, I highly recommend the Carnegie Science Center.

And I second the Pirates game, if they are playing at home during your stay.

Pittsburgh has a lot of great options, way too many for just one weekend, so you'll have to come back!

3. Re: Suggestions for Family Reunion Group in Pittsburgh Summer08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, September 25, 2009