We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Suggestions??

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington...
reviews: 42
Hotel Suggestions??

My husband and I are going to be visiting Pittsburgh for 2 or 3 days in the end of February or early March. We would like to stay close to all of the action. We definitely don't want to be more than 15 minutes away from the city. To give you an idea of the attractions we are interested in: we would like to visit Mt. Washington, the aviary, shopping areas, and the Carnegie Museum. We are not sure what else. I'm not sure if that will even narrow down my options because, as far as I know, having never been to Pittsburgh, the things we want to do could be in separate corners of the city. If so, to narrow it down, the preference would be to stay closest to some good restaurants and/or shopping.

I have read some reviews on this site but I'm not sure about any of them, location wise especially. The courtyard by Marriott West Homestead Waterfront is one that has some good reviews, but is it too far? I've seen reviews on the Priory as well. What about it's location? I've also read that the Priory is not located in the safest area of Pittsburgh. Is that just city phobic people or is that realistic?

By no means am I limiting myself to these hotels...I am very open to your suggestions. I'd prefer a hotel, not a motel. I'd also like to keep it under $150/night.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
reviews: 4
1. Re: Hotel Suggestions??

I wouldn't recommend the Courtyard in Homestead - it is about 15-20 minutes to downtown and is basically in the middle of a large outdoor mall.

The Priory is in Oakland and is pretty central. I don't know a whole lot about the hotel itself, but Oakland is where Pitt campus is located, so there are a lot of college kids in the area.

Check Priceline.com for rooms at the Renaissance (one of the best luxury hotels in downtown) for rooms. Several people coming into the city have gotten rooms for under $70/night, and it is 4 star.

If you don't have any luck with Priceline, try looking in the Greentree area for a hotel. It is just outside the city on the west side of the Ft. Pitt Tunnels, and most places will have shuttle service to downtown.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
reviews: 33
2. Re: Hotel Suggestions??

The Priory is on the North Side, not in Oakland. The North Side is not as safe as most Pittsburgh neighborhoods; right now they are having a flare up of gang-related shootings. I live in the City myself, and I don't think I'm being unduly alarmist about this, but if I were visiting a new place I would not want to stay in the equivalent neighborhood.

For a hotel in a better neighborhood, and within walking distance of things you might want to do, I'd recommend a hotel in Oakland (zipcode 15213), downtown, Shadyside or South Side (the Holiday Inn Express seems to get good reviews on TA). There is a wide range of price, amenities and ambience to choose from. Can't beat the Renaissance downtown from the sounds of it, and I know someone else already recommended using Priceline to get a great deal.

All the activities you mention are within about 2 miles of each other, so it won't take you a lot of travel time no matter where you stay. Pittsburgh can be tough to navigate, with the rivers and hills creating a very non-grid layout.

Hope you have a good visit.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
3. Re: Hotel Suggestions??

Sorry, I got the locale wrong on the Priory.

You can also try the Sheraton Station Square. I've never stayed there, but there seem to be mixed reviews for it. When we stay in the city, it's usually at the downtown Hilton.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
reviews: 36
4. Re: Hotel Suggestions??

Maybe try the Holiday Inn Express on the South Side, or in Shadyside the Inn on Negley or the Courtyard by Marriott. The Courtyard is on a busy intersection but you are within easy driving distance of Oakland attractions and the Shadyside neighborhood, both Walnut Street and Ellsworth Ave., both of which have shopping and eating (as does the South Side).

Washington...
5. Re: Hotel Suggestions??

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. If I were to try to get the Renaissance on Priceline, what section of Pittsburgh would I need to select? There are so many and I am a first time visitor so I am not familiar with the different "neighborhoods" within Pittsburgh. Also, with the priceline bidding process, what other hotels might I end up with if not the Renaissance and are they as good?

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
6. Re: Hotel Suggestions??

The Renaissance would be considered downtown. As far as Priceline goes, choosing a 4 star hotel in downtown will get you either the Renaissance, Omni or Westin.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
7. Re: Hotel Suggestions??

These are two "hint" boards for Priceline; www.biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com - I always view them before doing a bid.

Washington...
8. Re: Hotel Suggestions??

thanks gypsy. And Bk thank you for those links. I had no idea they existed. Priceline's name your price method is new to me. I have always been skeptical, but I am ready to give it a try after seeing so many people suggesting it.

columbus
reviews: 29
9. Re: Hotel Suggestions??

My huband and I are staying that the Renaissance this weekend, thanks to Priceline. We bid $67 (the lowest I saw someone post on Betterbidding.com and it was accepted.) It is in the downtown area, and you have to click 4 stars. We knew we would get one of the 3 four star hotels downtown, and we have stayed at the Omni before and LOVED it so it was a real deal. The Renaissance accepted for the $67 plus tax and we leave on Friday...good luck. It was my first time on Priceline also and it worked out great!

Sewickley
10. Re: Hotel Suggestions??

Here’s the link for the BiddingForTravel Pittsburgh board:

…ezboard.com/Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh/fprice…

Following is a Downtown Pittsburgh Priceline bidding thread from last summer that you might find helpful:

…ezboard.com/…