We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in the Poconos-Skiing??

Which Mount Pocono hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Northport, New...
reviews: 8
Christmas in the Poconos-Skiing??

I have a rental in the Poconos for Christmas week 2011. I know the weather will be anyones guess, but historically,how is the skiing that week? Considering the warm temperatures in the East thus far, if the temps do drop by that time, do the mountains typically make enogh snow to ski?

2 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Mount Pocono
reviews: 25
1. Re: Christmas in the Poconos-Skiing??

It has been mild here as well. The resorts will start to make snow when the temperature drops to at least 32 degrees and maintains that for at least a week. Looking at the forecast here and watching the news, there hasn't been any mention of any plans to make snow due to the unseasonable weather.

I've lived here for over 20 years, and the resorts used to open up as early as the temperatures permitted. The last few years (to my recollection) they've had a late start. I'm not a skier, so I could be off a bit with the openings in the past.

We did have a snow storm here in October (not rare) of 14 inches, but it was gone within 2 weeks up here on the mountain. Mother nature is in control.

I wish you luck and suggest that you go to weather.com and type in whatever zip code you are going to be skiing at for updates. Pocono Summit is 18346 and Mount Pocono is 18344. You can do a search for other zip codes as well.

Happy Holidays!

VegasSue

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 38
2. Re: Christmas in the Poconos-Skiing??

It is not unusual for resorts to have some but rarely all runs open xmas week. It is not unusual to get 1 day of rain that week. It is not unusual for people to fret over the weather, It IS unusual for that to make a difference.

I only have taken 35+ Xmas week ski vacations all along the Northeast.

Reply to: Christmas in the Poconos-Skiing??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted