We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian relatives visiting Lancaster

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey, USA
reviews: 11
Italian relatives visiting Lancaster

I have my cousins coming from Italy to visit. They do not speak English. They will be with me a total of 15 days. We are doing a 3 days in D.C., a day in AC and a day in NYC. Is Lancaster a good place to take them? It would just be for one day in the beginning of December. I live in NJ.

My husband and I have never been there so I am not sure it would work for them since we do not have any personal experience there. I speak Italian and can explain things to them although it would be great if there is a lot they they could figure out from the visuals. Your thoughts? Also, if we do go what would be some good things to do, what with having only one day there? Thanks.

NY
reviews: 153
1. Re: Italian relatives visiting Lancaster

If it's a Sunday, most things will be closed. If not, then I would take them to the area around Kitchen Kettle Village on Route 340 in Intercourse. It's a pretty area with pretty gift shops. After roaming in and about that area, I would drive through the farmlands and enjoy the scenery. This will give them a good feel of the area and they would see the amish farms. A nice place to take in lunch would be the Kling House in Kitchen Kettle village.

lehigh valley
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
reviews: 9
2. Re: Italian relatives visiting Lancaster

I agree that driving around to see the scenery will probably be the best plan. Unfortunately, the farmland will not be at its most attactive in December.. The Kling house is a good choice. One of the buffets such as Dienners or, if you want the biggest Shady Maple might be something differant for them. As mentioned, avoid Sunday.

lehigh valley
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
3. Re: Italian relatives visiting Lancaster

One problem with what you want to do is that the group tours of the countryside and/or recreated Amish houses will be lost on your relatives, since they don't speak English(and presumably an attempt by you to translate simultaneosly woiuld be disturbing to the guide or other tourists)

However, you might book a tour through the Mennonite Information Center www.mennoniteinfoctr.com

A Mennonite guide rides in your car for two hours or more, guiding you to backroads stops. This would make it easier for you to translate what the guide says.

Another possibility would be a trip to Longwood Gardens, to see the Christmas decorations in the conservatory. This could be in addition to ,or instead of, your trip to Lancaster(the two are about an hour from each other). Obviously the decorations are mostly visua;l, so no translation would be necesary. Longwood now sells timed tickets for this very popular attaction, so you would nned to pre-book

Edited: 9:33 am, September 12, 2013
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
reviews: 108
4. Re: Italian relatives visiting Lancaster

Have you considered visiting Hershey? You could visit Hershey's Chocolate World and take the free ride that shows the chocolate making process. Christmas Candylane will be open weekends at Hersheypark, if that would be of interest. I enjoy going purely to see the Christmas show, ride the monorail & train, and to see the light displays throughout the park. Sweet Lights would also be good - you drive through a two mile trial with 600 light displays. The Hershey Story (a museum) might be a possibility since you are able to translate the displays for your relatives.

5. Re: Italian relatives visiting Lancaster

I would not go to Lancaster in Dec.

6. Re: Italian relatives visiting Lancaster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 01, 2014