We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Jersey
reviews: 185
Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

I just received word that the Willow Valley Family Resort, Restaurant and Bakery will close November 12, 2012.. The Doubletree and Golf

Course will remain open....Plans have not yet been determined on the future use of the site .

27 replies to this topic
Central PA
reviews: 53
1. Re: Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

New retail, dining and services to replace hotel

fox43.com/news/…6083932.story

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
2. Re: Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

Wow....I thought maybe the Thomases were cashing in their chips, but this actually sounds more like a major expansion, just transitioning away from the hotel end since Doubletree has that covered.

It's amazing how this enterprise has transformed little Willow Street.

South Jersey
reviews: 185
3. Re: Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

The correspondence on the website indicates future planning is formative but options include retail, service and dining..Fairly broad arena..

York, PA
reviews: 27
4. Re: Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

Just to clarify, the older motel-style section is closing (Willow Valley Inn), not the newer section (Doubletree).

lancasteronline.com/article/local/728013_Wil…

Staten Island, New...
5. Re: Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

dont care what they say, the children waited for mrs thomas to pass and cashed in. just came back from a few days there with my family. been going 2-3 times a year since 1996. it was part of my kids childhood. very very sad. R I P willow, you will be missed.

Roselle Park, New...
reviews: 29
6. Re: Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

I know what you mean, very sad. Although we always stayed in the newer section, it was nice to go over to the other pool when the others got too congested. I also enjoyed being able to walk over and get some treats in the bakery and eat in the restaurant.

Parsippany, New...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

My family went every year to Willow Valley when I was growing up! I had such a great time there, the pools/game rooms were the best, the buffet was endless good food (back then), and the bake shoppe was 2nd to none out there. It is a shame that they are closing the older sections of the hotel. We used to stay in the Atrium as well, but that is all redone for the Double Tree transition, so I have no real connection to that hotel. Once the bakery and buffet closes there will be no reason to go back. My entire family took one last trip from 11/8 - 11/11 and there were so many families that were reminiscing about Mr Thomas, and the way the resort used to be. I always enjoyed the donuts on Sunday with the Amish film. Mr Thomas ran that himself because he didn't want his employees to work on Sunday. The bus tour around Lancaster was a lot of fun too, going to Kitchen Kettle and the Anderson Pretzel Factory. I also loved Mr. Thomas' car collection with the rare Tucker. Willow Valley will be greatly missed!

Edited: 7:33 am, November 12, 2012
Northern Maryland
reviews: 10
8. Re: Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

We made our last trip up three weekends ago. I started going to Willow Valley with my parents shortly after it opened, late 1960's. Then when I married in 1980 my wife and I immediately began a tradition of going up just before Christmas and didn't miss a December trip once. And we often went at least one two more times over the winter after that. My wife and I have six children who associate Willow Valley with many of their best childhood memories. A three night stay by the central pool was the most refreshing and rejuvenating vacation.

My daughter was there yesterday for the sale of the furnishings etc. She said it was extremely stressful and hard to walk around with it like this. She lives close to Lancaster and I asked her and her husband to pick me up something to remember the place by, such as a painting from a room or bench or something we can put in our house.

When we were there recently we walked over to the double-tree and our grandchildren do like the indoor pool park a lot. So we will likely return and stay at the double-tree. It will be fun for them, and maybe even trips there will become cherished memories for them. But it just can't be quite the same. The Thomases were like family. It felt like going home to go to the old Willow Valley. Going to the double-tree will be like going to any modern place. Nice, but not home.

BALTIMORE MD
reviews: 5
9. Re: Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

We went to Willow Valley on Nov. 8, it was downright sad to talk to the folks who work there in the restaurant and bakery. Most told us they are now out of a job, and what a terrible time of the year to do that! It wouldn't have hurt anything at all to wait until after the holidays, would it?

Well, now that this tradition that we've had for years is gone, there is no need for us to ever visit this location again, keep the Double Tree and everything that goes with it, you have lost any business I might have wanted to have with you.

Roselle Park, New...
reviews: 29
10. Re: Willow Valley Family Resort Closing

I agree some of the best memories i have are of this place and i had hoped to continue going with my 3 kids. We really enjoyed going around xmas time, especially when they had the carnival and all of lights. Although we stayed in the newer section we enjoyed the older section also. I doubt i will return in the future. It really saddens me that i will never experience this place again during the holidays. We do also stay at the Fulton Steamboat which is nice and the kids enjoy it there but willow valley still holds a special place in my heart.

Edited: 12:07 pm, November 21, 2012
Reply to: Willow Valley Family Resort Closing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted