We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 37
Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

My husband, two children and I are going to be visiting Lancaster the end of next month for a week and I am wondering how we can go about having dinner with a real Amish family. Also, if it can be done, how much does it cost? Any suggestions is appeciated.

Thanks.

Lancaster, PA
reviews: 12
11. Re: Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

Sandi: It seems to be important to you that the home have no electricity. Although Old Order Amish are not to have electric or phones in their homes, many "get around this" by having the phone in their barn or other outbuilding. Similarly, some Amish believe they may not buy electric from the power company but "making your own" (as with a generator) is OK. Many Amish farms have also been modified to use air pressure to run appliances, lights, tools, etc. Is this hypocritical? You be the judge. At any rate, if you want to dine by candlelight, or oil lamp, you may have to ask your hosts to "outten the lights!"

Australia
reviews: 41
12. Re: Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

babygirl722, if you would email the Amish family's number to me also I appreciate it. We are visiting this area in March 2006 and would love to have some more 'authentic' experiences than the tourist is normally offered.

carlsandbern@hotmail.com

Thankyou!

lancaster, PA
13. Re: Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

Try this farm bed & breakfast : Verdant View in Paradise. The innkeepers are terrific folks, and someone else posted that they were able to arrange an Amish dinner.

New Jersey
reviews: 2
14. Re: Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

babygirl722, If you would email me the number for the family that serves dinner in their home, I would like that too. I usually

go to Dienner's but would like to try something new.

cherylmaddaluna@aol.com

Ottawa, ON
reviews: 4
15. Re: Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

We are Canadian, who will be spending Canadian Thanksgiving in the Lancaster area this year. This would be a great way to make up for the fact that we are away from home.

Please e-mail any telephone numbers you may have to elliottsimcoe@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

MA
reviews: 1
16. Re: Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

Hi!

Could you please email the phone number to me?

My email address is

randib@apachurch.com

Thanks!

Randi

Lancaster...
reviews: 34
17. Re: Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

Hello, I live in Lancaster County and had no idea you could even dine with the Amish! Very interesting. Do you know they are allowed to shop at Costco? Thats just nuts. I was in line behind a family with two cart-loads of all kinds of things you would find in my own cabinets- oreos and diapers, chewing gum and tomato sauce. I think times are a changin'

(-;

ny
18. Re: Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

i want to do the same thing so can you help me too?im at luckyg524914295@aol.com thanks,gina

Rochester, NY
reviews: 15
19. Re: Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

Miss Philly,

I think its nuts for you to make a post like that. Why wouldn't they be buying the same things that you would? Why couldn't they shop at Costco? Do you think they make everything that they use? Of course not! Just because they live simply doesn't mean that they don't do many of the same things we do. You especially (since you live in the area) shouldn't be so close minded about the way other people live. I have close friends who are Amish and I can't stand when people act like they are freaks.

ny
20. Re: Want to have dinner with an Amish family, how do I go about...

were can i sleep in an amish home?