We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting lancaster in july

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
High Point NC
visiting lancaster in july

my husband and I will be visiting lancaster in july want to make the best of our trip and see as much as possible I have a tentative schedule please check and see if it is ok and any suggestions would be appreciated.

arrive wednesday around 3:00 are staying at the Flower and Thyme B&B on strasbury pike. need a good place to have dinner.

thursday going to bird n hand to the shops at 2:00 doing the amish experience in the plain and fancy parking lot dinner at dtoltzfus farm rest. would like recommendations for dinner.

friday 11:00 strasbury rr.and museum taking train ride. lunch at Isaacs rest

dinner at Iron Horse Inn. 7:00 Sight and sound in strausbury

Sat. need suggestions

Lancaster, PA
reviews: 4
1. Re: visiting lancaster in july

I think the biggest mistake some tourists to Lancaster make is not coming into the city. It's a small city, but it up and coming. It has a ton of history and culture, with art galleries and museums galore. Lots of amazing restaurants and shops. For Saturday, I would come into town. Start at Central Market. It's a very quaint little market and has the distinct honor of being the country's oldest market. Check out cityoflancasterpa.com/lancastercity/…

Then have lunch at any great restaurant. (You'll see another Isaac's right around the corner from Market, BTW). I'd go with Character's Pub since you'll already be at Market...it's about 2 blocks away. They have the best burgers I've had in a long time. Other great sandwiches and salads, too. Or someone else may have a good suggestion.

After lunch, walk around! King, Queen and Prince Sts would be good. Prince St. is gallery row, the 300 block of N Queen has some wonderful little shops, including a vintage store and a creperie (have dessert there, the strawberry cheesecake crepe is out of this world!). Also, in the summer there are a lot of events planned in downtown Lancaster on the weekends. We just had the garden tour this weekend and a carnival, the Red Rose Run and a bike race the weekend before.

Unfortunately you will be visiting at the end of the Fulton's season, so nothing is playing. However, they often do tours of the Opera House...look into that if you'd be interested. The Fulton Opera House is considered to be the nation's oldest continuously operating theatre.

Finally, do dinner at another great restaurant. I'd suggest Checker's Bistro! It's new and has IMO, the best food in Lancaster right now. Make reservations soon tho...they get packed on weekends! I like to sit in the bar room...it is smoking, but a lot more laid back than the dining room. Same menu and you'll have great service no matter what, but in the bar room, the server is always Tony, one of the owners. He's just one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Very helpful with everything!

Also check out http://www.downtownlancaster.com/index.htm for some more great info.

I just love the city (can you tell?) and think that most people come here just to see the Amish and therefore miss out on a great experience. Whatever you decide to do on Saturday, I hope you have a great time and enjoy our county!

High Point NC
2. Re: visiting lancaster in july

Corrindale thanks for the information sounds like it would be real interesting. Love to see all Lancaster has to offer.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 29
3. Re: visiting lancaster in july

Agree 100% with CorrindaL (and have said so in other threads) about too many visitors never discovering the charms of downtown Lancaster. Check out the new "Bright Nights" walking tours....they're FREE!

Almost too many great downtown restaurants to list them all...Pressroom, Carrs, Belvedere, etc. Horse Inn or Jethros for "off the beaten path" places.

Enjoy your visit.

4. Re: visiting lancaster in july

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:21 am, September 03, 2009