We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Byron Bay suffer from Schoolies

Which Byron Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 22
Does Byron Bay suffer from Schoolies

Thinking of a trip to Byron Bay mid December. I want to avoid the schoolies phenomenon. Can anyone advise?

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
1. Re: Does Byron Bay suffer from Schoolies

By December schoolies is well and truly over.

You will however have the summer holiday crowds to contend with.

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Does Byron Bay suffer from Schoolies

Thanks evamelb.

I didn't think the summer holiday crowd was full on till the kids get off school just before Christmas. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 76
3. Re: Does Byron Bay suffer from Schoolies

the official Schoolies week is occuring right now - "Schoolies" is the week after the graduating Grade 12(Senior) students finish ( two days ago) and celebrate.Other grades will finish on the 7th of December for most private schools and the 14th for Public, although some private schools are staggered. These grades dont have a 'schoolies' per se, they just go on holidays with their families resulting in School Holidays.

Edited: 3:04 am, November 18, 2012
Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 73
4. Re: Does Byron Bay suffer from Schoolies

I'm sympathetic, Gale. The best way to avoid other people at the beach is to go in mid-winter. :(

Can I interest you in Tasmania instead of Byron?

Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: Does Byron Bay suffer from Schoolies

Hi Luigi A

I love Tasmania, sometimes I even consider moving there I love it so. As a farmer in the desert on the Vic NSW border Tassie is so appealing. Maybe I can turn to farming in Tassie. I am a hot weather person though, and love to swim. Its too cold to swim there I think.

Cheers

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
6. Re: Does Byron Bay suffer from Schoolies

Bad news is that private schools finish at the beginning of December - but you are right - the worst of the crowds are round the Xmas/New Year period.

Have a great time.

7. Re: Does Byron Bay suffer from Schoolies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 16, 2013