We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Byron Bay - any advice please ?!

Which Byron Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, UK
reviews: 11
Byron Bay - any advice please ?!

Hi,

My wife and I have 1 month to do the East Coast run from Sydney to Cairns in March 09. We're picking a car up in Coolangatta and spending a few days in the area - probably Byron Bay for a day or two. How long would you stay here? Seeing as there's a lot of other places to see in not a lot of time.

Could anyone recommend places to stay and places to eat here?

It's just the missus and me - no kids, we like the usual stuff, beach, sightseeing and the odd cold one.

Cheers for your help.

Tony

Byron Bay
1. Re: Byron Bay - any advice please ?!

Hi Tony

As a long time resident of Byron I would absolutely recommend you stay as long as possible - most people fall in love with the area and wish they'd cut back on visiting other areas.

The main areas I would recommend you go is Sydney about 2-3 days, then up the coast to Byron for at least a week to 10 days.

After that, go on up to Fraser Island north of Brisbane, and also spend a couple of days around Noosa on the Sunshine Coast.

Thence, on up to the Barrier Reef, Cairns and north of Port Douglas

Enjoy the nature

Lin

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 76
2. Re: Byron Bay - any advice please ?!

Byron is a great place that is popular with many tourists, particularly backpackers. It can also attract some hefty price tags and short term accommodation can still be difficult to find at times.

The best part about Byron is its surrounds. Many of us stay in nearby coastal villages such as Brunswick Heads or Lennox Heads - an easy 20 minute drive to Byron but fantastic in their own right. The hinterland area is quite stunning and the inland village of Bangalow is foodie heaven. A drive up through Mullumbimby will take you through lush rainforest and incredible vistas to 'alternative' towns like Uki.

The Brunswick Heads Hotel is a local icon and has a fantastic beer garden and great meals.Its also a great place to stay.

http://www.hotelbrunswick.com.au/

the Byron markets are excellent and are on the first sunday of each month and then rotate with adjoining towns :

http://www.byron-bay.com/byronbay/market.html

also have a poke around the 'Tweed Coast'. This is a group of gorgeous seaside towns in between Brunswick and Cooloongatta which includes Pottsville and Cabarita but can be overlooked if you stay on the main highway. You will see signs for various turnoffs.

If you allowed 3-4 days you should cover a lot of ground.

'delicious' gourmet magazine did a feature on the Byron region last issue. I'll dig it out and get back with their eat/sleep recommendations - most of which were spot on.

are you then driving up to Cairns or flying ?

Cambridge, UK
reviews: 11
3. Re: Byron Bay - any advice please ?!

Thanks a lot for the replies, really appreciate it. Looks like we're only going to be able to spend 1 - 2 days in Byron which I guess is not enough time but we're really looking forward to it and we'll make great use of your info.

We're mainly flying up the east coast with a little bit of driving thrown in. Talking of which we've heard a few horror stories of the odd shady hire car company (I suppose there's good and bad wherever you go!) but can anyone recommend a good hire car company in Coolangatta?

co. donegal
reviews: 14
4. Re: Byron Bay - any advice please ?!

byron is a real cool place so long as you know what to expect its a real hippy spot, personally it was one of the highlights of my east coast run, with a month id recommend 3 or 4 nights in sydney, 6 or so in byron, learn to surf it really is one chilled out place you ll understand once you ve been, brisbane is worth a few days the whitsundies are definatly worth going to, noosa isnt great in my opinion fraiser island i thought was very disappointing, just drinking and sleeping in a hot manky tent and paying a premium to do so, but then some people love it, not me

5. Re: Byron Bay - any advice please ?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 am, October 16, 2009