We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roo Hunting

Which Byron Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Savannah, Ga
Roo Hunting

Is there any companys around that offer this service at a reasonable price?

Tell me if this sounds nuts

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
1. Re: Roo Hunting

Nuts ? Sure - pop on over and shoot our national emblem.

next time I'm in the US I will take pot shots at your Eagle!

Legal roo culls occur at specific times of year in drought areas where crops are affected by the roo population. Trained cullers do the job.

Its not a tourist day out.

lennoxhead/austrilia
2. Re: Roo Hunting

this sounds nuts.....have you tried shark wrestling

Greater Sydney...
reviews: 61
3. Re: Roo Hunting

What about croc shooting in Nth Qld? :)

Savannah, Ga
4. Re: Roo Hunting

I'm very sorry to have offened you all. I didn't mean anything by it. Here in the states we hunt deer for sport, but use the meat for ourselves. There are also places we can donate the meat for less fortunate people. Hunting deer here is accepted because of all the crop damage and auto accidents. The roo I thought was in a similar situation.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 4
5. Re: Roo Hunting

I suggest when you are in such a lovely part of the world, paying to go and kill an innocent animal shouldn't be up the top of your list of things to do.

PP

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
6. Re: Roo Hunting

I think some of my fellow Aussies are being just a bit precious in their responses to this honestly asked question. I have a number of friends in the USA, UP MI and AK in particular who hunt responsibly, deer and moose, and nothing goes to waste.

It's not my cup of tea personally, but you have a right to ask, and be told what the situation is here. It is not an unreasonable question given it is well known internationally that kangaroos are both culled AND used for food.

Anyone care to offer a suggestion as to where that kangaroo in the meat sections of Coles and Woolworths comes from? Farmed no. Shot in the wild yes!

Lemongello it is unlikely you'll get to hunt kangaroos in Australia, certainly not around Byron Bay which is mainly National Park. Most kangaroos are shot out in the more isolated areas of central Australia, far from the coast. Mainly by professional shooters, who supply game meat processors for local and international supply.

Finally, the attitudes to guns and hunting here in Australia are quite different to those in the USA, and that would be why you got the responses above, Cheerz Wabster

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 4
7. Re: Roo Hunting

Wabster- people that kill kangaroos for meat are professional shooters, that (hopefully) most of the time kill the animal with one shot, as this is what they are paid to do.

The idea that someone travels 13 hours and considers this a "fun" holiday activity is bound to get negative comments. Obviously the OP genuinely didnt realise this wasnt a common activity that holiday makers paid to do though, so Im not meaning to lecture. Shooting animals for fun just makes my blood BOIL (as you can probably tell!).

PP

Melbourne
reviews: 9
8. Re: Roo Hunting

So Wabster should we also encourage the OP to grab a gun and take pot-shots at Koalas sitting in trees, or emus wandering around the country. What a sad notion that we should encourage hunting as a tourist activity just because some people, very few, make a living culling kangaroos.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 29
9. Re: Roo Hunting

Its an emotive topic. But Wabster was NOT being supportive of shooting animals of any kind, let alone koalas for sport. He was simply stating the facts. Don't give him a hard time for that.

HP

Sydney
reviews: 7
10. Re: Roo Hunting

hasnt anyone read cloudstreet? lol

its clearly a national pastime...

but seriously - if you want to shoot kangaroos your best chance is making friends with some farmer in a remote community who has a gun licence and happens to have a kangaroo problem, as well as having the right moral view and willing to trust you

its pretty unlikely

ive heard quite a few stories of farmers shooting rabbits... but again its not a tourist activity