We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child Friendly Restaurant - But Good Food??

Which St Austell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newbury, Berkshire
reviews: 20
Child Friendly Restaurant - But Good Food??

Hi, we are going to Cornwall mid August and are travelling down on my eldest daughter's 6th birthday. We are staying near St Austell/Charlestown/Mevagissey and would be grateful for a recommendation for a good restaurant/pub which is both child friendly and also serves good food for adults too - sea view would be a bonus too/children's play area! Don't mind paying a bit extra as its a birthday celebration. Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Devizes, United...
reviews: 309
1. Re: Child Friendly Restaurant - But Good Food??

Hi there

I've dined at the Rashleigh Inn and at the Harbourside Inn, both in Charlestown, the former on many occasions over many years and it's always been excellent food and beer. For some strange reason, the Harbourside features in the 2012 CAMRA good beer guide but the Rashleigh doesn't, but I wouldn't let that deter you from visiting.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
reviews: 206
2. Re: Child Friendly Restaurant - But Good Food??

The Britannia Inn and Waves restaurant may well suit you. http://www.britanniainn.net/

There is a good size pleasant beer garden with childrens play area. The Waves restaurant is part of the pub and is a bit more upmarket than your average pub, or you can eat in the pub itself.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
reviews: 206
3. Re: Child Friendly Restaurant - But Good Food??

This place is worth a look as well. I often eat here and the food and drink are very good--large portions as well. http://www.polgoothinn.co.uk/

St Austell, United...
reviews: 24
4. Re: Child Friendly Restaurant - But Good Food??

As someone else has suggested, The Britannia Inn is great in nice weather as it has a children's play area and bouncy castle outside, however, I have not eaten there in many years and have not heard great reviews on food served, but obviously can't vouch for that. There's a Frankie and Benny's in the town centre which my children love to go to.

At Par (right near the beach and duck pond/play areas), is a pub called The Ship Inn which has great outdoor seating and a small play area, it does have parking, but if you want to go to the beach/duck pond after your meal, then you would have to drive a very short ( a few seconds!) way to the public car park that adjoins the main beach - this beach does allow dogs by the way, so not for everybody, but the the duck pond near by is frequented by many different species of birds - including swans, that will come right up to you to be fed (take bird food!).

There's a great play area at The White Pyramid Inn just outside of Trewoon, which isn't far from the main town and I have heard good reviews about the food there, I believe they have a website.

Of course, you could always go to Kidzworld at Par moor first, where your daughter would have a great time for her birthday, and then go to Charlestown (also suggested by someone else here above) to the Rashleigh, or Harbourside for dinner? It just depends which you value more as the ones with the best food - in my opinion - are not the ones that have provisions for the children, unfortunately.

Lots of possibilities!

Edited: 7:21 am, July 02, 2012
Newbury, Berkshire
reviews: 20
5. Re: Child Friendly Restaurant - But Good Food??

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated.

Par, United Kingdom
reviews: 6
6. Re: Child Friendly Restaurant - But Good Food??

The Royal Inn at Par (near the railway station) is very nice. It does a great Sunday lunch, has a children's menu and will help to meet dietry needs. It does big portion but will do smaller ones if you ask. There is areas to sit outside. It has a bar area with television or if you want to, there is a resturant and concervatory. It is popular with the locals. My husband and I often eat there on a Sunday and so do many of our friends from church. My best friend had her wedding reception there in June. Mandy and Kevin are the Landlords. There is also veggie options too. It is not too pricey and you would be made very welcome. I would advise you to book though.

There is no children's play area but the beach is just down the road or on the opposite road over the bridge is a large pond where you can feed the ducks.

Reply to: Child Friendly Restaurant - But Good Food??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted