We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Airport to Amesbury, Amesbury to Plymouth?

Which Amesbury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Heathrow Airport to Amesbury, Amesbury to Plymouth?

We are traveling to England soon. We would like to travel to Stonehenge on the way from Heathrow, before arriving to Plymouth. Amesbury is so close to Stonehenge. Is there a way to get public transportation from Heathrow to Amesbury to see Stonehenge? Then public transport from Amesbury to Plymouth?

UK
reviews: 88
1. Re: Heathrow Airport to Amesbury, Amesbury to Plymouth?

<<Is there a way to get public transportation ...>

Not realistically. Renting a car is by far the best way to do this. By a very very long way. The second best way would be to hire a car with driver at a cost of £300 I'd guess.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
reviews: 46
2. Re: Heathrow Airport to Amesbury, Amesbury to Plymouth?

I take it you'd have luggage with you. Trust me; you don't want to be walking the 2 or so miles from Amesbury and trying to cross the very (for 'very, read 'VERY') busy A303. Nor would you be able to stash your bags whilst wandering around Stonehenge.

Having said that, you *could* catch the RailAir link from Heathrow to Woking, then train to Salisbury. Hoho tourist bus to Stonehenge and back *

and then train to Plymouth with a change of train at Exeter St David's.

What you do with your luggage, I don't know.

*A taxi from Salisbury to and from Stonehenge and wait for you would cost about £45. You may find this works out cheaper than the Hoho bus if there are 4 or more or you, or just for ease of convenience.

UK
reviews: 88
3. Re: Heathrow Airport to Amesbury, Amesbury to Plymouth?

p.s. I saw the name " Finnchic" and assumed you were coming from Finland, LOL :-)

I would strongly advise you not to attempt to drive all the way to Plymouth via Salisbury after a flight from Dallas, way to dangerous when jetlagged.

How about taking the coach or train to Plymouth, and then driving via Stonehenge on the reverse trip back to Heathrow?

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
reviews: 3
4. Re: Heathrow Airport to Amesbury, Amesbury to Plymouth?

How about stopping in a hotel or B&B in Salisbury on your first night.

That way you could take the Rail-Airlink bus from heathrow to Woking, then a train to Salisbury, dump your luggage at your hotel and take the HoHo bus to stonehenge and back, then spend the rest of the day in Salisbury.

The following day you could take the scenic train route to Exeter, where there are lots of trains to Plymouth.

There are coaches operated by National Express to Amesbury and Salisbury but they don't run very often and so using the train would be a better option.

Phil-the-Bus

Dallas, Texas
5. Re: Heathrow Airport to Amesbury, Amesbury to Plymouth?

Thank you for the link for RailAir and the rest of the advice. I never thought of the Company RailAir before.

Dallas, Texas
6. Re: Heathrow Airport to Amesbury, Amesbury to Plymouth?

Thank you everyone for the advice on Transportation. We are still deciding. The screen name FinnChic refers to part of my heritage. I live in Dallas Texas. My mom is from Finland, and I absolutely love the Country! :o)

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
reviews: 3
7. Re: Heathrow Airport to Amesbury, Amesbury to Plymouth?

RailAir is not a company, it is simply the name given to some of the coach services that run between Heathrow and nearby main line rail stations - see …airport-information.co.uk/directions-rail.h… for more information.

UK
reviews: 24
8. Re: Heathrow Airport to Amesbury, Amesbury to Plymouth?

You can also get the train from London to Salisbury. Their are bus tours from Salisbury to Stonehenge.

I would consider renting a car for the day if your happy with driving in the UK. to drive would take 1 hour 30 from Heathrow. As mentioned the Countess roundabout (traffic circle) area of the A303 at Amesbury can get jam packed with all sorts of trraffic during the holiday period and at weekends so pick your times well. And Amesbury is not a place for a day out, Salisbury is.

9. Re: Heathrow Airport to Amesbury, Amesbury to Plymouth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 08, 2011