We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to San Juan del Sur from Arenal

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 82
Getting to San Juan del Sur from Arenal

HI all,

Is this possible and if so how long will it take? We're starting off in San Jose, working north through up to Nica and then using SJDS as a base for a week or so where we will do day trips etc.

What is the best method to get there from Arenal, we will also be coming back this way.

Thnaks in advance.

Regards

Rav

NY
reviews: 1
1. Re: Getting to San Juan del Sur from Arenal

RSC,

As in other travel forums this topic has been discuseed many times.

Macua Tours is a company that offers services like tours and transportation between costa rica and nicaragua. Me, my family and friends have used it many times to cross the border and transport us from Manuel antonio costa rica to sjds nicaragua. Try to type: Macua Tours at the search box and read all their clients reviews, try to contact one of the people who already wrote a review and ask them actual prices, services, etc...

Good luck...

Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 35
2. Re: Getting to San Juan del Sur from Arenal

Depending how much money you are willing to pay if you want a private transfer there are many companies that do provide this services.

By public bus which is a reliable way you can do it from Arenal to Cañas trough Tilaran and from there to peñas blancas after crossing the border a private taxi will be the easiest to SJDS.

Byron

http://byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

Buckhorn, Canada
reviews: 31
3. Re: Getting to San Juan del Sur from Arenal

RSC

You didn't mention your mode of transport. Were you by any chance planning to BIKE from Arenal to SJDS?

Or bus, private car, rental car???

My wife and I crossed the border (both ways) at Penas Blancas in 2009. Cab from Liberia to the border (about 1 hr), walk a furlong with your baggage over gravel/rocks etc. It is doable but best to approach the crossing as an adventure and not a hassle. It can be chaotic. Over to the Budget car rental office on the Nica side and a 40 minute drive to SJDS.

Make sure on your return crossing that they stamp your passports entering CR. We were waved through by gendarmes to our prearranged taxi and didn't realize the error until a few miles and had to go back to get that entry stamp. Noticed that there are lots of road side cops who stop and check not just the cabby's papers but your passports etc.

Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 35
4. Re: Getting to San Juan del Sur from Arenal

I just remember you can get a Shuttle service from https://www.interbusonline.com/home/home.asp# figure it out with them how much it can cost to Peñas Blancas or at Least to Liberia. from Liberia is Piece of cake to Peñas Blancas as there are many buses that goes very often to Peñas Blancas.

5. Re: Getting to San Juan del Sur from Arenal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 26, 2014