We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NIcaragua, where to go

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
NIcaragua, where to go

Hi, we will be in Nicaragua from the 25th of December till the first of January and wanted to get some suggestions on what cities we need to visit regarding our short stay. Is there any local transportation available on the 25th? We would like to avoid spending a night in Managua. Also, where would be a nice place to spend new years, we are leaving in the afternoon on the 1st of January so once again we would like to avoid spending a night in Managua.

Thank you :)

San Juan del Sur...
reviews: 55
1. Re: NIcaragua, where to go

Hi,

What time of day/night does your flight come in...?

If not Managua where do you plan on going...?

Need more input.

This is a VERY busy time of year all over Nica, what class of travel do you have in mind? All of the mid to better coastel hotels are BOOKED for this week (if not maybe something is not right with them). Best to try more inland or if low end (backpacking type) I am sure you will find a place to sleep.

Beach towns will be FULL of all types of folks these dates. Best to email/phone before trying to find a place. Not so much as where to go, but how to live when you get there.

Montreal, Canada
2. Re: NIcaragua, where to go

Hello,

We are arriving at 1h30 pm, I think we want to head south right away (probably Sanjuan delsur). We were going for more of a guesthouse/hostel travel.

Our confusion is more about; do we spend the 25th in Granada and then travel around or do we go straight to Sanjuan delsur and spend the 31st in Granada. Do you know if it will be easy to find a way to get from Granada to the airport on the 1st of january?

Thank you

Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 38
3. Re: NIcaragua, where to go

Hola Valeria.

SJDS on a 25 of December forget about it there will be crowded as hell with lots of not that friendly and drunk people from Managua, Go to Granada or Leon better places to spend this days if going to Granada spend a couple of days there then to Ometepe then SJDS but get a shuttle service confirm trough Iskra travel or Adelante expres for the 1st of Jan or after visit SJDS spend the last night in Granada and get arrange a shuttle service trough Paxeos or if there are two of you a cab that will be the same amount of money.

If need more help let us know.

Byron

http://byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

Kitchener, Canada
reviews: 105
4. Re: NIcaragua, where to go

I would do first night in grenada given your time of arrival, you will be hard pressed to make it there before dark and find a decent place to stay, although there are lots and you almost assuredly will find one. then on to ome teppe, to me the must see in Nicaraguan.there is a boat from grenada to ome teppe, I think it takes all day tho(or is it all night, I cant remember) a few places to stay there, not sure in it will be full given the time you are getting there.

it depends if you are quick and just want to take a peek at things and move on. that takes most people a week to enjoy just those 2 spots. if not its a quick ferry back to the mainland to see san juan del sur, although that will be a mess at that time of year, so only a day max. I think that leon and poneloya are pretty amazing too, but I dont think you have enough time!

the way to make it work would be to rent a car, thats what I did and it was awesome. but there is all kinds of unique situations with that option.

I loved nicaraugua, it remains my favourite travel spot so far in my life. if you want to know more, just message me!

Edited: 8:10 pm, December 13, 2012
Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 38
5. Re: NIcaragua, where to go

No rent a car in this days many drunk drivers and many many many police asking for money everywhere

orangeville ont...
reviews: 17
6. Re: NIcaragua, where to go

iskra is a good bet for travel.Safe,reliable and reasonable.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 136
7. Re: NIcaragua, where to go

Granada or Leon would be most in the genre of Xmas

SJDS would be a gringo hell.

8. Re: NIcaragua, where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, January 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Juan del Sur