We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liberia to San Juan Del Sur

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Liberia to San Juan Del Sur

I am a female that will be traveling alone. I want to go from Liberia to San Juan Del Sur and back safest and easiest without emptying my wallet. Help?

Also, I'm not sure what I'm doing or how long I'm staying. I know i want to go to San juan del sur, and then probably travel down the Nequoia Peninsula and take a ferry across to Puntareas and then back up to Liberia to go home. Any suggestions?

Edmonton, Alberta...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Liberia to San Juan Del Sur

There is a "gringo" bus that leave central Liberia and goes to Managua. You pay the same fare as if you were going from San Jose.... no deals... about $35 I believe. It will drop you a Rivas, near Ometepe Island ferry. From there a taxi is about $20. You can do the whole thing by local bus for about $8. A CR taxi to the boarder is about $25 from the airport and from the boarder (2 kms walk across or tip a porter $2 & he'll carry your bags) and from there another $20 should take you to San Juan del Sur. There should be others doing the same thing. Try a San Juan del Sur forum to hook up. Nicaragua is safer than Costa Rica according to crime stats. Yes, it is less developed, but in the SW, they are quite tourist savy and friendly. I'd sugget doing a trip to Ometepe Islands, rather than the ferry trip your mentioned... unless it is the surfing off of the Nequoia Peninsula you are after. There are several inexpensive hotels and hostels on the Island(s) and it is very safe and slow paced. A taxi anywhere on the Island(s) should be no more than $20, while a local bus will be less than $1. I think the ferry cost us about $6, maybe less. The car ferry is the safest and quickest and leaves from the port area of Rivas, across the Pan American from this small city (which is gungy... not worth stopping for without a guide or specific interest). It does have both www cafes and bank machies if needed, something not as easy to find on the Ometepe Island

Happy Trails

Bruce

2. Re: Liberia to San Juan Del Sur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, October 20, 2009