We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

Which Yan'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangalore, India
reviews: 41
Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

Hi,

We are planning a 14 days trip to China in June 2014, the cost is exceeding our budget. We are doing Beijing, Xian, Gulin, Li river cruise, Chengdu & Shanghai. Wanted some advice on whether we can give the Yangtze cruise a skip:

Against The Cruise

- 2 initial days of doing pretty much nothing. The cruise boats are not really five star not even a swimming pool on them. The initial attractions like Fengdu ghost city are just tourist traps

- We are vegetarians( no meat, chicken, fish or sea food) so food could be real issue on the cruise

- It is big dent in the pocket, cruise itself, the travel to & from the cruise location

For the Cruise

- The three gorges, passing through the lock & the dam itself

Looking for some advice, as am very confused.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Aparna

11 replies to this topic
Shanghai, China
reviews: 13
1. Re: Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

Skip it! It surely was a REAL experience before the dam went into operation. I did the cruise in 2007 and the water level was already very high so that even the gorges were not that impressive anymore. The trip lives by its historical beauty and for the tour operators it is a good way to get rid of their clients for a couple of days. Also the cruise lobby makes sure that it is still being sold as a scenic ride you should not miss.

Not only on the cruise being a vegetarian can be a problem. Many Chinese do not really understand the whole concept of vegetarianism. So be prepared that Chinese say things like "You can eat our meat - it is very fresh and healthy!" or the staff in a restaurant after you complained about meat in your vegetarian dish "but only very little meat, no problem!". To be 110% sure to get what you ordered you should visit Indian or pure vegetarian restaurants.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
2. Re: Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

It is a matter of opinion but I always tell people to skip it for the reasons that you mention.

beijing
reviews: 5
3. Re: Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

A third vote for skipping the cruise.

Bangalore, India
reviews: 41
4. Re: Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

Thank you all so much

Kunming, China
reviews: 343
5. Re: Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

Yangtze River cruise is oversold by travel agents. I was disappointed in it myself.

Give it a miss.

Chicago
reviews: 4
6. Re: Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

Is it possible to just visit the area where the cruise ships stop and transfer passengers to a smaller boat to view the smaller gorge? Would that be worth it to get some photos of the area? I don't need the relaxation of the trip, just the view and photos of the scenery.

beijing
reviews: 5
7. Re: Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

#6 I thought I already explained this to you in another post on this forum. Getting to any sort of photogenic spot on the Yangtze, by fastest means possible, is still going to eat up two days to get there, do photos, and get out to somewhere else that you could fly or train from. Wushan is the river port from which you can take the smaller boats for a half-day trip up the Three Little Gorges (Daning River). But it takes a day to get from Chongqing to Wushan. Then another day for the side trip and maybe get the late afternoon hydrofoil to Yichang, likely needing to stay the night there.

Edited: 12:56 pm, December 24, 2013
Melbourne
reviews: 83
8. Re: Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

Skip the so called Yangtze cruise! I did it in 2001 (on a Chinese boat in a so called cabin because my friend was on a limited budget & it was truly dreadful and dirty). Construction was well advanced even then.

Nothing to see now as the coastal towns & interesting sites are all submerged.

I believe there are cruises that cater for foreigners but the cost is exorbitant. Doubt if there's a pool tho. It's not like the ones that ply the Caribbean waters.

Use your time and money by going elsewhere.

Re vegetarian food: temple food is about the only place that serves it. Tofu,veges, rice etc I rather like it if I come across it. You can also be assured the oil used is not from animal fat.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
9. Re: Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

@birdcagewalking - actually there are a lot of vegetarian restaurants in cities like Beijing and Shanghai. There is an amazing one in Yangshuo, best restaurant in town actually (and I am not vegetarian at all).

Shanghai, China
10. Re: Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip

Maybe you can have a try this tour route, Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Guilin and Shanghai. If you don't want to explore the Yangtze River, just take a Li River cruise in Guilin. Tha'ts awesome to cruise along the Li River.

Reply to: Can i give Yangtze river cruise a skip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yan'an