We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A warning about attending events at Hershey

Which Hershey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lawrenceville, New...
reviews: 21
A warning about attending events at Hershey

I just wanted people who may be considering a trip to Hershey, most especially people looking into attending an event at the stadium or arena, to please be wary of the horrendous and unbelievably ignorant and arrogant parking practices Hershey enforces. Simply read all of the numerous reviews for Hershey Park Stadium to see that Hershey's idea of traffic control is to keep all of their patrons trapped in a distant lot with no exits open until they decide to open them nearly 2 hours after the event has ended. For us, that meant exiting the parking lot at 1 am!! There are NO attendants, NO staff, NO traffic control or direction, they simply leave you blockaded in a lot a mile from the venue backed up in lines of cars with no explanation. I searched many reviews upon our return and this is, apparently, their common practice for their events!! I strongly urge you to consider any other venue in America before making the same mistake we did. Shame on them!

17 replies to this topic
Central PA
reviews: 53
1. Re: A warning about attending events at Hershey

I would send them your comments directly

hersheypark.com/general_info/contact_us.php

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
reviews: 83
2. Re: A warning about attending events at Hershey

My understanding is there were in the area of 30,000 people at each of the One Direction concerts and probably a thousand or so more who didn't get tickets lurking around Hersheypark Drive and the parking lots surrounding the stadium listening in on the concert. Unfortunately, Hershey is in no way equipped to handle that amount of traffic and the result is chaos. I don't think they care because at the point the concert is over, they all ready have your money. I agree with the above poster, your complaints need to be voiced directly to Hershey, maybe if enough people complain a change will be made.

Fortunately I have never attempted to exit the Hersheypark/Hershey stadium area after a concert of that magnitude. It's bad enough exiting the Giant Center parking lot after a concert with not near that many people.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 38
3. Re: A warning about attending events at Hershey

We just bought tickets for Mix Fest on Fri, July 26. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to stay or what to do? We plan on arriving the day of the concert but don't want to buy a ticket for Fri. We do plan on seeing the park and attractions on Sat then heading home on Sun morning. We have never been to PA and also need a place/area to stay.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
reviews: 83
4. Re: A warning about attending events at Hershey

Some other attractions you might want to check out in Hershey are Hershey's Chocolate World (at the entrance to Hersheypark, so you could also do this on the day you visit the park), the Hershey Trolley Works tour (departs from Chocolate World), the Hershey Story (museum about Milton S. Hershey & all things chocolate), and the Hershey Gardens. Links to these attractions can be found at the following:

hersheypa.com/things_to_do/fun_attractions.p…

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 38
5. Re: A warning about attending events at Hershey

We may do the Chocolate World the day of the concert.

Hershey...
reviews: 1
6. Re: A warning about attending events at Hershey

I understand that you had a bad experience and you have every right to voice your opinion. There are better ways to voice it besides anger and bitterness and making assumtions.

Personally I have not parked in the grass concert lots for anything in probably 3 yrs so I cannot recall off hand what parkig there is like. However, I did leave the hershey complex Saturday night around the time the 1D concert was over and have left before after other concerts and events such as 4th of July fireworks. I can tell you that there are numerous parking personell directing traffic out of the hershey complex as well as fire police who control the lights to help trafic flow. We sat in traffic leaving after the fireworks on the 4th for about 30 mins. It takes time to get that many people (park guests, concert guests, and employees) our of any venue. You have to expect to wait at least a little. I can't tell you if they did or did not open the exit gates from the field lots right away. If they did wait my best educated guest is that they did so to allow park traffic to clear while concert goers made their way to their cars.

I can also say that I saw people milling around everywhere after the 1D concert. Probably some in places they should not have been as well as cars parked all over the place. Including a bunch of areas parking staff, in my best educated guess, did not want people parking. People were also driving down the shoulders of the road to get around traffic. Nonsense like that makes the situation worse to. People need to use commen sense and follow the rules on their end to help out because parking attendents can only do so much if people aren't going to listen.

And to the commenter going to Mixtape. From what I know the parking situation is different for a concert of that type.

Lawrenceville, New...
reviews: 21
7. Re: A warning about attending events at Hershey

I am not making any assumptions, simply stating exactly what my experience was, we could clearly see walking into the lot (the ones to the left and front of the arena, not the grass) that there were cars backed up without an open exit to depart from. My car was to the far rear of the lot, and again, with two possible drives out of the rear of the lot, they were blockaded, as were the ones near the front. It was clearly visible that a police officer and a Hershey employee showed up to open ONE of those drives and control the traffic light off that access road at nearly 1 am, about 2 hours following the end of the concert. Once out of the lot, we were on our way and had no traffic issues. I am not that naïve that I do not expect it to take a little time to dismiss a large venue with large numbers of people!! I have been to events at Giants Stadium, Yankee Stadium, Eagles games, Cincinnatti games, etc. and never been forced to sit in a completely blockaded lot for 2 hours. You simply have to do minimal research and read numerous reviews of this venue to see that this is not an isolated event for Hershey. They simply do not put ample resources into controlling traffic out of the venue - and someone simply directing you out of the lot where YOU may have been parked and the main exit is not sufficient. I live in a small town and they put about 10 - 12 police cars on duty to control traffic out of the college for fireworks . . . while there may have been one or two police officers controlling one or two traffic lights, again, it's simply not enough for that volume of people and to force people to sit in a lot with no exits and no explanation will result in people trying to get out of the situation, not that it is right to do that, but had those 2 drives been open and people been able to exit, even with slow progress off of the access road and onto the main road, you would not have had the "anger" and "bitterness" shown by myself and NUMEROUS other reviewers.

Hershey...
reviews: 1
8. Re: A warning about attending events at Hershey

I am trying to understand where you were parked at. Were you parked within the hershey entertainment complex? If so it was not just concert traffic exiting it was also park guests and employees. There is one main way out of the complex near the stadium. If you are in the main lot for the park there is an exit on the other side of the tram stops as well. So perhaps what you thought were exits that had not been opened were actually not exits.

I'm not trying to insinuate that you didn't experience what you say you did. I'm just trying to explain to you and anyone who reads this how Hershey's parking is set up because I am at the park a lot so I am very familiar with it. There is no reason to lash out at me or to tell guests to stay away. I understand you feel how you feel. As others have said you can try to report something directly to Hershey if it really bothers you that much and I am sure they can give you a better explanation of what happened. If they do I'm sure everyone who has read and commented on it would like you to post it here. My only advice is to maybe try to be calmer when posting in the future. Personally I don't like reading things where all the person is doing is being angry. That's mainly why I stepped in and replied.

Elizabethtown...
reviews: 22
9. Re: A warning about attending events at Hershey

As frustrating as this is for you, I agree with hotprincess. She is correct about thinking things are exits that are not. There are many old paths around the parking lot areas that have not been in regular use since the Giant Center was build and the main traffic pattern around the park altered. There are also areas that are kept closed off for all except emergency or industrial vehicles. As annoying as it can seem, they try to route the traffic in 2 main directions to alleviate problems in the town of Hershey, which is not designed to handle the heavy traffic created by the entertainment complex.

And yes, they do get a lot of complaints about the parking situation, however, I have personally never experienced it. I've been to concerts, the park, and hockey games at the Hershey complex and never had the difficulties I hear described by others. And trust me, in late Fall when there is a hockey game, the park is open for holiday events, and state football playoffs are going on in the stadium all at the same time, it can get pretty crazy. We still manage to get out of the park with fairly limited stress. And I'm just saying that to let you know that I have been there when it is busy.

When you say you were in the very rear of the lot, do you mean out by the Giant Center, behind Chocolate World, or in the area between the stadium and the old hockey arena? I would like to understand exactly where you are, only so that I can possibly provide you with an explanation, and perhaps advise others in the future.

Johnson City, TN...
reviews: 2
10. Re: A warning about attending events at Hershey

I am coming to the Justin Timberlake concert on August 4. Any recommendations on how early to get to the stadium to get a decent parking space? Also, is there any type of shuttle service from any of the hotels or anything for events like this to avoid parking there altogether?

Reply to: A warning about attending events at Hershey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted