We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

Which Harrisburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus
reviews: 1
Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

We're planning on taking the train from Harrisburg to NYC for a weekend in October. Where is the best place to park overnight near the Amtrak station? And would we be able to find a spot around 10-11 on a Friday morning? Or would we be better off driving to one of the stations east of Harrisburg?

Thank you!!

18 replies to this topic
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
reviews: 84
1. Re: Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

Your best bet might be to get the train in Middletown or Elizabethtown where there are long term parking spots available.

Allentown...
reviews: 83
2. Re: Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

There is a parking garage on Chestnut Street across from the Amtrak station in Harrisburg. You shouldn't have any trouble finding parking there at that time. Not sure of the cost.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
reviews: 84
3. Re: Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

Parking in a garage in Harrisburg will be around $20.00/ day. There are over 1000 spaces in the Chestnut Street garage. If you do park in any of the garages in Harrisburg, do not leave anything of value in your car. Here is a website that shows all the Harrisburg parking facilities.

hpaparking.homestead.com/Guidetoparking.html

Edited: 8:38 am, June 28, 2013
Harrisburg, PA
reviews: 40
4. Re: Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

As a frequent traveller to NYC, let me advise that you not park in Harrisburg. You'll need to pay the $20/day for parking, plus you'll need to keep in mind the closing time of the garage for your return trip (the last train out of NYC for the day frequently can arrive after the nearby garage closes for the night.

As pointed out in an earlier post, leave instead from Middletown or Elizabethtown. Middletown is only a few miles further drive and there is a parking lot and on-street parking both of which are free (first come, first served -- so that's the only downside). Elizabethtown has a larger lot if you'd want to play it safe on insuring a parking spot.

If you already bought you tickets, you still just get on at Middletown with a Harrisburg ticket. On the way back, you just need to let the conductor know that you intend to get off at Middletown instead of Harrisburg so that they make note of it.

If you're set on Harrisburg, there is a garage right across the street from the station with plenty of parking.

Edited: 2:00 pm, June 28, 2013
Indiana
5. Re: Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

*Bump*

I am thinking about making a similar trip in August. Can you please let me know the likelihood of getting a parking spot in Middletown and/or Elizabethtown?

I am driving from Indiana, so I would hate to get stuck without a spot if I ventured outside Harrisburg (and I really want to avoid paid parking). Either way, I would likely overnight and leaving on a morning train.

Elizabethtown...
reviews: 22
6. Re: Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

I can't say for Middletown. In Elizabethtown, the current long term lot is basically a gravel area next to a field. When the gravel area gets full, people just park in the grass. Amtrak no longer has permission for riders to park in the lots of the commercial property across the street from where they currently have the long term parking, so don't park there. The businesses could tow cars that are there overnight if they chose to. The e-town station lot is in the process of being expanded, but it won't be completed by Aug.

Indiana
7. Re: Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

I am leaning toward Elizabethtown. Is the long-term parking easy enough to find? Would you consider this a safe option for multiple days (of course hiding electronics, etc)?

Elizabethtown...
8. Re: Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

I have personally done it many times for multiple days, so I certainly think it is reasonably safe. To find it, you will drive past the main entrance to the train station on W. High St. in Elizabethtown, then follow the signs. (Left at the "y," then on the right past the main entrance for Masonic Village). It's not obvious, because you need to go beyond the main train station entrance, but as long as you know to do that and are looking for it, it is not difficult to find.

Harrisburg, PA
reviews: 40
9. Re: Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

The parking is immediately adjacent to the station. It's a safe location -- certainly no worse than long term parking at the airport -- as long as your not leaving valuables out in plain sight inside your vehicle.

Elizabethtown...
10. Re: Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg

I assume Lasagna is describing the Middletown station. :)

Reply to: Amtrak Parking in Harrisburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted