We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

Which Erie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 11
downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

Hello!

Just wondering how safe downtown Erie -- specifically, in and around Hamot Hospital -- would be for two women traveling alone.

Are there any areas to avoid or where one should be extra cautious?

We've visited the Erie area many times, but haven't ever been to the downtown area and are thinking of staying in that area for a few days.

Thanks in advance!

Souderton...
reviews: 58
1. Re: downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

Hi TravelVic. I was in downtown Erie a couple years ago at the Convention Center Authority for business. They have been making vast improvements towards revitalization. You may want to reference this website. http://www.eriedowntown.com I certainly hope this helps. A friend sent me the link. She said Downtown is much better than iy was. Just like going to any city, normal precautions should prevail. Have a great time!

Souderton...
2. Re: downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

I can't type to... IT not IY :)

Toronto
reviews: 11
3. Re: downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

Great, thanks for the link, kittykatnap! I'll check it out.

PA
reviews: 2
4. Re: downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

Use normal precautions you would use in any other city.

Souderton...
5. Re: downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

Good morning

:) I was given advice by Nat Geo. Make friends :)

Toledo, OH
reviews: 255
6. Re: downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

Be really careful. There is at least one robbery every week within 2 blocks of Hamot.

Erie, PA
7. Re: downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

Tamara. While I definitely know big city crime does occur in Erie, your statement about there being 52 robberies a year within 2 blocks of Hamot is simply incorrect.

Toledo, OH
8. Re: downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

I read the crime statistics at www.goerie.com every week. Well, at least within 4 blocks of the hospital. My son lives downtown. I wish it wasn't true.

Edited: 9:10 am, June 28, 2012
Toledo, OH
9. Re: downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

Judge for yourself:

http://www.goerie.com/section/crimemap

Erie, PA
10. Re: downtown Erie/around Hamot hospital -- safe?

That's a good link you sent me. Statistics are a great thing you can use to skew one way on or another on depending on what your point is. The one thing I noticed in your link is that it included several other miscellaneous minor ciminal related stats...disorderly conducts/etc. I see you've backed off your original statement of robberies occuring within 2 blocks of Hamot. I have several friends who live within 2 blocks of Hamot...and not the West side...Gannon side. They've yet to witness or be touched by any crime around Hamot. I have a link for you....

cityrating.com/crime-statistics/…toledo.html

*** Last reporting year of 2009. 121 robberies (actual data). Again, your assertion that 52 robberies occur within 2 to 4 blocks of Hamot is incorrect. This little area does not even make up 1% of the land area in Erie, yet you propose that it has almost 40% of the robberies in the Erie City Limits? Just not true...

*** cityrating.com/crime-statistics/…toledo.html

I have lived in Erie for years. Part of my time was in downtown Erie. Based on other cities I've lived in, ranging from Youngstown, OH to Columbus, OH, Erie is no more dangerous or less dangerous. Simply being aware of your surroundings is a good way of life to live anywhere in our country. Erie certainly has crimes that are considered to be 'big city crimes'. I definitely am aware of this and I always am guarded based on which neighborhood I may find myself in while here.

Edited: 9:47 am, June 28, 2012