We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Impressions of Mercyhurst and Gannon Universities

Which Erie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, OH
reviews: 240
General Impressions of Mercyhurst and Gannon Universities

I'm curious as to what people think about these two schools? They both seem very different from each other. I'm wondering if my daughter would like either of them.

PA
reviews: 15
1. Re: General Impressions of Mercyhurst and Gannon Universities

Yes, you are correct. The environment of both schools is very different. Not having gone to school at either of them, here are my impressions:

I believe both have a high reputation as far as academics. Both have a lot of sports and cultural activities on campus.

Gannon is located in downtown Erie. The crime rate is really growing downtown. I would be really concerned having my daughter out walking around down there later at night. The students may disagree with me, but I listen to the news every day and there's a lot going on down there, typical to any mid sized city, but probably no worse than any other. You are close to restaurants and bars, dance clubs, etc. if that's what you are looking for. There is almost no shopping down there, even though it is located downtown. The buildings are interspersed with other downtown buildings. It's close to the bayfront, but not the "beach".

Mercyhurst on the other hand, has a beautiful campus and I would consider it to be quite safe. However, it's not close to much of anything as far as shopping, etc. There are a few restaurants within walking distance. The main shopping district in Erie is located on upper Peach Street (Route 19) which is about 15 minutes from Mercyhurst, 25 minutes from Gannon. What, you may ask, does this have to do with a university, but it could be very important to a 19 year old girl!

Mother-to-mother, I would steer her to Mercyhurst if possible. I'm sure others on here will probably disagree, as usual!!!

Toledo, OH
2. Re: General Impressions of Mercyhurst and Gannon Universities

Thanks, Mary. You just confirmed my impressions of the two schools. We drove around Mercyhurst and my daughter loved what she saw. My son is actually a freshman at Gannon. He really likes the school and his major, but I am constantly worried about him going out at night. Thanks for being a Destination Expert on this forum.

PA
3. Re: General Impressions of Mercyhurst and Gannon Universities

My pleasure - so glad I could help!

Philadelphia...
reviews: 16
4. Re: General Impressions of Mercyhurst and Gannon Universities

As you've already pointed out, the schools are very different and it really comes down to what type of experience your daughter is looking for.

As with every school, Gannon takes it's security seriously and have paid police officers with the right to arrest as well as carry guns. Every building has staff to walk students home and a van to pick them up anywhere at anytime. Additionally, the Erie police headquarters is on campus.

That said, I never felt threatened during my time at Gannon. The area is pretty much overrun with student housing and unless your daughter/son go quite a long way from campus, there's not much to worry about but being smart is always advised.

Both schools will require a car to do most things, but I personally liked being downtown to hit up the baseball games, concerts, and various festivals that come into town. Additionally, never having to worry about driving home from a bar was a plus.

So I'm a bit biased, but my preference was to have an urban atmosphere and Gannon provided that. :)

Take a long look at the academics your daughter is interested in and make sure the school is right - they each have their strong and weak points; although you've probably already hashed that out... Since you've looked at Mercyhurst and Gannon - has she considered Penn State Behrand? It's just up the road and is also a great school.

Toledo, OH
5. Re: General Impressions of Mercyhurst and Gannon Universities

Mrstylz, I believe there has been a dramatic increase in crime over the past year in the Gannon area. They have not released crime statistics for 2008 so I'm only going by what I read in the Erie Times and the Gannon Knight. When we were there for Parents' Weekend, we only saw a campus police car once. I have never read anything about them arresting anyone, so I'm seriously doubting their abilities.

PA
6. Re: General Impressions of Mercyhurst and Gannon Universities

Tamaralea, you are absolutely correct. Things aren't the same as they were a couple of years ago. It's great that Gannon has all this security in place, but it's obvious that they feel it is necessary!

7. Re: General Impressions of Mercyhurst and Gannon Universities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, August 17, 2009