We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp Wildwood Manor

Which Canadensis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clarksville...
Camp Wildwood Manor

I found some old letters that mentioned Camp Wildwood and wondered if anyone had information. The author of the letters was Julie Gaylord and she was from New York. The letters were written in 1961. Did anyone know her?

41 replies to this topic
Manahawkin, New...
1. Re: Camp Wildwood Manor

I went to camp there 1963- 1968 have never been able to find anyone who went there. wish there was a FB site for former campers to find each other. Ellen Costa (Van Esselstyn)

NYC
2. Re: Camp Wildwood Manor

I went there for 4 summers. The first year I was so young that I stayed in the main building. There was "Nursie" -- an older woman who was not a counselor but like a nanny to us.

I loved swimming in the lake but especially loved horseback riding. I only remember two other girls, Isabel Lark and Lois Baltimore. I think I was there the summers of 59-61.

Redding, California
3. Re: Camp Wildwood Manor

I went in 1950 at age 7 from central PA. Everyone else seemed to be from NY, NJ or CT. I cried for a week and then didn't want to go home. I loved learning to ride English style, and couldn't get enough archery. One of the girls was the daughter of a champion archer who came to give a demonstration. The bats didn't scare me but the gigantic rattlesnakes sure did.

Louise Raymond Pennington

Edited: 9:22 pm, October 27, 2011
Philadelphia
reviews: 88
4. Re: Camp Wildwood Manor

I went to Wildwood Manor in the summer of 1964. I was in the oldest girls' bunk. There was an Ellen in my bunk - I think she was from New York City. There was also a red-headed girl named Colleen but the other names I forget. We had a counselor named Chris.

Sara Matthews

Los Angeles...
5. Re: Camp Wildwood Manor

I was there in the 1950's for about 7 years. I was Mary, a little, hard-of-hearing kid, freckled, dark, curly hair. Remember owner, Ethel Morgan, had handsome son Clifford, there was a cook we called "cook" who baked blueberry pies for any table with a full milk bottle of blueberries (for every one in the bottle at least two went into the mouth!); riding, tennis, archery, swimming in a mtn pond, cookouts, corn roasts, campfires with great songs that I am singing today to my grandchildren; counselors Diane and Maddy. Remember one summer there was a hurricane and we got airlifted food drops as the roads were washed out. Hikes to town (was it Canadensis?) to candle store. Song: We're the girls of Wildwood Manor/You heard so much about/People stop and stare at us/whenever we go out./We're noted for our wisdom ways, the clever things we do/Most everybody likes us/We hope you like us too.

Philadelphia
6. Re: Camp Wildwood Manor

I had forgotten the Camp Director's name but it was Mrs. Morgan. She was always well-dressed and very British. We were told by our counselors that we were never to sing the popular camp song "They Built The Ship Titanic" because Mrs. Morgan had had family on the Titanic.

She taught us etiquette - we learned to sit like lotus blossoms - so she called it and we learned that ladies never cross their legs but sit with only ankles crossed and our hands together, palms up, resting in our laps - like lotus blossoms.

It was a different world.

Los Angeles...
7. Re: Camp Wildwood Manor

I am totally amazed that a means exists by which we can communicate about these things! I wonder if it makes any sense to think about a reunion...?

And this last comment, about the Titanic song, and about being taught to be ladies...yes, yes, it all comes back now. Please, if you have any more recollections, post them!

Does anyone know near what town or highway the camp was? Or what was the name of the lake with the waterfall that we drove in Mrs. Morgan's station wagon to? Remember the wood in the station wagon, how old it was? Mrs. M drove fast, and she once had a crash and broke her nose, didn't she? And the raspberries on the hillside by the lodge.... The breakfast rides.... The rare but wonderful visits of a boy's camp?

Los Angeles...
8. Re: Camp Wildwood Manor

I am totally amazed that a means exists by which we can communicate about these things! I wonder if it makes any sense to think about a reunion...?

And this last comment, about the Titanic song, and about being taught to be ladies...yes, yes, it all comes back now. Please, if you have any more recollections, post them!

Does anyone know near what town or highway the camp was? Or what was the name of the lake with the waterfall that we drove in Mrs. Morgan's station wagon to? Remember the wood in the station wagon, how old it was? Mrs. M drove fast, and she once had a crash and broke her nose, didn't she? And the raspberries on the hillside by the lodge.... The breakfast rides.... The rare but wonderful visits of a boy's camp?

Philadelphia
9. Re: Camp Wildwood Manor

Mary, I'm enjoying sharing memories. I was there in the summer of 1964 and only for that one summer but I gathered many memories because it was such a small and special place. And I'm from Pennsylvania and I know that part of the Pocono Mountains from other summers spent in the same area.

It was Canadensis to which we were allowed to go if our bunk met inspection. Canadensis is still there but I doubt the camp is there. Would the house where we ate and Cook cooked and Nursie's infirmary was still be there?

The waterfall may have been Buck Falls. Not too far from camp was Buck Hill (Falls) Inn and that's still there. Parents would stay there when coming for Parents' Weekend.

Did you do Water Ballet? We put on a show for Parents Weekend and my mother said you could see the water snakes swimming in the pond just before the show. I remember the stable that held four horses right next to the pond and the small riding ring.

I remember too the visit from the boys' camp and maybe I'll remember the name of that camp. We used to sing it in a camp song... Camp Skyler? I'm close but that's not quite the right name I don't think.

At night we could go to the back of the house and Cook would put out bread and apple butter. There was a gazebo just behind the row of upper bunks.

My mother said I came home with a Long Island/New York accent because so many of the girls were from New York.

I remember we took a bus early in the morning to go to a local swimming pool for swimming lessons - the water was SO cold and we had to do jumping jacks to warm up after we jumped in. And we sang camp songs every minute of the bus ride.

I remember too sitting family style for dinner and Mrs. Morgan showing us which direction the blade of the butter knife should face but to this day, I can't remember which way it was. We were never to ask for anything but always to ask the people next to us, "May I offer you anything?" If the girls on either side of you didn't ask, you weren't ever to ask that it be passed to you.

Mrs. Morgan was interesting and as an adult, I wondered how she came to be in the States. I never saw her son. I wonder when the camp closed.

Los Angeles...
10. Re: Camp Wildwood Manor

Good morning and merry Christmas, Sara!

I live in southern California now, and when I attended Wildwood Manor I lived in NYC with my great-aunt. I was sent to Wildwood Manor to escape the NYC summer heat. My great-aunt loved the camp and Mrs. Morgan and I loved the riding especially. I learned how to take care of horses there, and the rest of the year I spent all my free time drawing horses or sculpting them from a cake of Ivory soap. I couldn't swim because I had perforated eardrums, and what I know of the water snakes is lying in wait for one, catching it, and proudly and happily running after the counselors with it, and also Cook, and then I was very upset when someone took it from me and it was killed.

I guess I attended the camp well before you did, in the 50's, and in those days there were no swimming lessons elsewhere; I remember a little about the water ballet, but as a hard-of-hearing child who couldn't wear her hearing aid anywhere near the pond, I would only have observed the visual of it....

Did you ever go blueberry-picking in the wilds behind the camp?

Did you short-sheet the counselors' beds? or put frogs or salamanders in their sheets? Or kick the bunk bed above yours and give your fellow campers a few good jolts? For me, it was my first chance to make mischief and that was also part of the fun. Or course, I am a grandmother now and these are all old memories that have come to life with these emails about the camp...what a flood of lovely memories they are! So please keep on remembering, Sara!

Regards,

Mary

Reply to: Camp Wildwood Manor
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canadensis