We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

Which Yachats hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
reviews: 5
Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Portland and the Oregon Coast with my husband and 4-year-old for the week leading up to the 4th of July. I'm trying to decide if we Cannon Beach or Yachtas would be a better choice. We like to go to the beach (mostly for my son to play in the sand), hike and kayak. We're interested in nature and wildlife, and also like art galleries and boutiques.

Any input from someone who knows the coast would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Lynn

11 replies to this topic
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
1. Re: Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

I would opt for Cannon Beach. It has everything you are looking for and is perfect for little kids. Most hotels do require 2-3 minimum night stays in high season though, and CB is popular so you need to book far in advance, especially around a holiday time. I would book asap for anything on the coast for that timeframe though. If you need specific hotel suggestions etc just ask. We stay there often so can give first hand accounts:)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
2. Re: Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

See my answer on your other thread. I've lived right near Yachats for 25+ years so if you have any questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask :-)

Oregon
reviews: 27
3. Re: Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

We spent a 4th of July weekend in Yachats a couple of years ago -- it was so charming. There was a small parade, a small crafts fair, free ice cream, fireworks. I loved it! Yachats is considerably smaller than Cannon Beach and fewer art galleries, restaurants and the like but the drive down the coast is wonderful; and there are beautiful sites to see down the coastline [assuming you drive directly to the coast from Portland and then meander south to Yachats.

Cannon Beach is charming in a larger way; many more shops and galleries; fun places to shop. Definitely more "hustle bustle." If you have been to Door County, it has that vibe a bit. The beach is flat and deep -- perfect for a child to romp around. There is a beautiful park a short drive away [Ecola State Park].

When I think of children at the beach, I think of Seaside -- cotton candy, bumper cars, bike rentals. It is a relatively short drive from Cannon Beach and might be fun for an afternoon with a child.

Newport is another option -- kid-friendly things to do: aquarium, Yaquina Head Lighthouse [hike to the top]; barking sea lions along the old bayfront; crabbing from the docks. And big flat beaches aplenty. Newport has a more "fishing" flair than CB or Yachats.

Lots of choices!

Detroit
reviews: 5
4. Re: Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

Thank you SO much everyone for all the input!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 30
5. Re: Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

If it were just you and your husband, I might recommend Yachats, but I agree with Mtngrl that Cannon Beach would be much better with your 4-year-old along, and especially given your other interests. Besides the natural beauty of the beach and surrounding area, the small, vibrant town still retains much of the artist community roots it was known for back in the mid-'60s.

California
reviews: 15
6. Re: Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

No question...Hands down...YACHATS!!

The best HUGE beach ever.....great food.....our favorite place on the planet...

Been going here every year for 43 years...

Cannon Beach is nice...cute little town for shopping...but Yachats....!!!!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
7. Re: Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

Given your kid and your own needs, I'd vote Cannon Beach if you must choose between the two. My overall preference would be, however, the Newport area, Yachats is just to the south. Simply more to do for all of you. See websites, below. Don't know your schedule, however.

If Cannon Beach, though, several really beautiful nearby state parks "might" help to minimize the crowds, and these are: Hug Point, Ecola, Arcadia and Oswald West. You can visit honky tonk Seaside as well.

Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area Just north of Newport. Great tidepools!

blm.gov/or/…index.php

Newport, OR Much to see here. http://discovernewport.com/

Edited: 6:40 pm, August 09, 2014
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
8. Re: Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

Cannon Beach or Yachats are our trendy places to go. Cannon Beach does have a nice beach. but can be costly. Yachats does have a nice beach but north of downtown Yachats where the popular motels are. We used to go to a rental house north of Yachats, with our kids, but not sure Fireside Motel good kid place.

Seaside and Lincoln City have motels with easy beach access, but you need to check them out. Newport also has some decent beach places but the more popular ones sit on hill well above beach, not easy access for 4 year old

Nesowin also has good beach access, and so does pacific City.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
9. Re: Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

sheez, I missed dates of original post, little late I suppose with my comments. what did you do??

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
10. Re: Cannon Beach or Yachtas?

Me, too, Phirl; I only picked up on Sophie's tardy post. :(

Reply to: Cannon Beach or Yachtas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted