We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

Which Yachats hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

Quick question i'm hoping someone can help me with. My family and i are heading to Yachats in June, and found a rental house to stay that looks great - but it is right on Hwy 101. I know that Hwy 101 is the main throughfare, but just how busy is traffic? Will it be too loud to sleep at night? Dangerous to cross? There are a few places we can choose from - and although this one looks nice, I definately don't want to see a stream of non stop cars instead of the ocean. The place is called Shiloh by the Sea. any one stay there, or have any advice?

Vancouver...
reviews: 24
1. Re: Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

101 in the Summer is a busy road. There is no way I would stay on it. Chuck.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
2. Re: Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

hwy 1o1 in Yachats is a 2 lane highway, but will be busy in summer for Oregon standards. If from Chicago, probably wont seem that busy. Probably depends on if its on the east/west side of the road. Im assuming that its on the east side? If you are worried about it I might find someplace else.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 43
3. Re: Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

Shiloh by the Sea is south of town a bit, if I found right place. It appears to be close to 101, but should not be a lot of night time traffic. Days could be sort of busy, but not so bad you can't get across 101. May not be easy to walk along 101.

Do think you could find better location

Edited: 10:56 pm, January 24, 2014
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 35
4. Re: Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

Do you have the exact address? From the photos I saw in the VRBO listing, it's not clear that it's actually on hwy 101.

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

Yes - the address is 500 block of Hwy 101. I did a Google Map search, and it shows the house about a driveway length off the street. I know it may be apples and oranges, but we're trying to decide between this house and one just south of Newport, closer to the ocean. Our original concern about Newport was that it may be too touristy, but I'm thinking it might be a better option given this place's location on Hwy 101. any thoughts on Yachats vs. Newport?

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

You're right - it's on the east side of Hwy 101, so we'd have to cross over to get to the shore. I'm most worried about my mother-in-law, as she recently had knee surgery so darting across a busy road will not be an option for her ;)

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

Funny you should ask - we were trying to decide between this place and a rental just south of Newport, which is closer to the ocean but had heard that Newport was "too touristy". Thoughts?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 931
8. Re: Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

Hi Chris, I'll be in Yachats today so will drop by and take a look for you.

Where is the one in Newport? If it's just south it will be out of the main town, but yes, Newport is one of the more congested towns along the coast. However, since you are from a huge city, you might not notice ;-)

I don't know if Newport is "touristy" . . . that's a very subjective term. There are lots of visitors, yes. They come from "the valley" (inland) and there are also a lot of Portlanders who visit. A fair number of visitors have vacation homes. There are quite a few things to do and see there.

Yachats is far, far smaller and much quieter. All depends upon what you are looking for? Newport is an easy approx 30 minute drive from Yachats - a lot of residents there work in Newport.

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

Thank you so much for the in-person scouting!! The house in Newport is in the South Beach area, on Surfland. Thoughts? Your comment on "touristy" is a point well-taken; one person's definition of "touristy" is another one's "there's a lot to do there" - for us, we're hoping to check out the tide pools, do some beach-walks, see the nearby lighthouses, go into town a night or two for fresh seafood and otherwise, just enjoy the company.

Renton, WA
10. Re: Yachats - how busy is Hwy 101?

We have stopped in Yachats many times (mostly summer) and have had no problem crossing 101. The traffic is not bumper-to-bumper, and the speed limit plus good sightlines add to the feeling of security. We are in our mid-80's. (I have two metal knees, BTW.)

Edited: 3:31 pm, January 25, 2014