We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Oregon Coast--Yachats

Which Yachats hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 5
Help with Oregon Coast--Yachats

Traveling from Eugene to Oregon Coast at end of July. Two adults and two kiddos (11 and 16). Based on some other posts we were looking at Yachats as a mid way point for day tripping. We only have 3 nights. I would like to find a place with a beach view that allows the kids to walk a beach, see sea life and possibly explore some tide pools. I was concerned that Yachats might be too rocky. What do others think. I do not mind quiet (especially away from road noise) I would rather travel to the activity and eat in. What area of Yachats should we stay in to get beach. Saw a place online called A Breath of Fresh Air with Ocean Odyssey rentals. Any suggestions on areas to stay? Any help would be appreciated. We are midwest natives heading for a wedding in OR.

7 replies to this topic
Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
reviews: 19
1. Re: Help with Oregon Coast--Yachats

The VRBO you mention is located right on the highway and it's south of town. It's a long-ish walk uphill on the highway's shoulder into the dining and shopping area. Do-able during the day if you are VERY cautious but I don't really feel safe walking that route.

I've stayed in a VRBO on Ocean View Drive near Yachats Common Park and I would prefer that neighborhood. It isn't a sandy beach, mostly rocks and a little sand - accessible from Yachats State Park. You can walk out on the rocks, they are fairly stable, but watch the tides. You cannot really swim or wade from this area but it's fun to watch the ocean from a safe distance.

If you are day tripping to other areas with beaches might still be a good option for you. Yachats is very mellow but there isn't much to amuse an 11 or 16 year old - we take our kids (14 & 17) there for some "forced boredom" - lots of time doing puzzles, playing games, reading, watching the ocean, and other old fashioned fun. ;-)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 12
2. Re: Help with Oregon Coast--Yachats

First, Yachats is one of, if not THE most beautiful area along the Oregon Coast, however the only "beach" is located just north of town. The Silver Surf ( http://silversurf-motel.com/ ) sits near the beginning of said beach.

Having said that, places like the Overleaf Lodge, Fireside Inn and Adobe Inn all sit on a bluff just above the ocean. You can't get much closer. From the Adobe, which is the furthest south of the three I mentioned, it is a 3/4 mile walk along the bluff (Historic 804 Trail) to the beach north of town and there are small "pocket beaches" along the way.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3. Re: Help with Oregon Coast--Yachats

Thank you so much for the advise. I see a place called Fairwinds on Oceanview Drive (vrbo #474205) Is that the one you stayed at by chance? Also found a place north of town on Lois Lane. Is that a better beach location. It has 23 steps to the beach. It is so hard making choices when you have never been to this area. I really appreciate the help.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
4. Re: Help with Oregon Coast--Yachats

The long flat sandy beach is north of town. If you look on your VRBO map, anything north of about Salmon Street will have the sandy beach - south of there will have the rocky shore. There is also a short beach around the mouth of the river.

You can change the map view to "satellite", enlarge it and that will give you a good idea of the shoreline in various places.

If you want an ocean view, be sure the listing says it. "A few steps to the beach" may mean you're back a couple of blocks surrounded by other houses.

You might also look at Waldport.

Edited: 8:43 pm, June 24, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
5. Re: Help with Oregon Coast--Yachats

Thank you again. I'll check out Waldport.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
reviews: 19
6. Re: Help with Oregon Coast--Yachats

The VRBO we stayed in was #318264.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 71
7. Re: Help with Oregon Coast--Yachats

We always stay at Payn House in Yachats. I think it's the only 'house' that has direct and easy access to the beach (in the summer). If you google it, you'll see it's a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom house with everything you need. It's way better bang for your buck than a motel. You can rent this home and others through Bayshore Rentals that have homes for rent all along the coast near Yachats and Waldport. In the past, we rented another house, but like this one much better as it's very well maintained.

Reply to: Help with Oregon Coast--Yachats
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted