We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

Which Yachats hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Olten, Switzerland
reviews: 64
Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

Hi

I'm a bit lost when looking for a fine dining restaurant in Yachats and its environ. There seems to be no place that can be recommended without reservation. I thought about Ona Restaurant and Lodge and Yuzen Japanese Restaurant. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

11 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
1. Re: Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

Ona is the closest thing to "fine dining" you will find in Yachats. The Drift Inn is a more casual environ but VERY good.

In Florence, ~25 miles south, The Waterfront Depot, The Bridgewater and Homegrown Public House are on par with the Drift Inn.

Renton, WA
2. Re: Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

We liked the white-tablecloth atmosphere at the Adobe Resort. We have eaten at the Drift Inn a couple of times and found it to have perfectly acceptable diner food....can't understand why it gets such high marks from reviewers.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
reviews: 19
3. Re: Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

I also recommend the Drift Inn - great food and friendly service. Everything I've had is a good step (or two) above "diner" quality.

If you get to Newport, try Shark's on the Bayfront.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 30
4. Re: Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

I agree with dengay about Ono; it's the closest to fine dining you'll find in Yachats, or the environs, as far as I know. I haven't been, but have read good things about Saffron Salmon in Newport. But you might have to go as far as Restaurant Beck in Depoe for fine dining, and that's about an hour north.

Yachats is one of our favorite towns on the coast, but it's not because of the food. That's not to say you can't enjoy a decent "foodie" experience there; heck, I think you can find that at Luna Sea Fish House, even. It might not line up with someone's idea of fine dining, but places like that add local flavor and character to many of Oregon's coastal towns.

Olten, Switzerland
5. Re: Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

Hi to all of you,

Many thanks for your suggestions. You may be right that you don't always need a fine dining restaurant to have a good meal. More important is it that the ingredients are of a good quality and the food is well prepared. Do you also know such a place by any chance in Crescent City and environs? The choice there doesn't seem to be ample. Maybe Wing Wah Restaurant?

Thanks!

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
reviews: 19
6. Re: Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

This probably isn't helpful, SwissTraveler, but I giggled when you mentioned Crescent City and food. I've been through there a couple times on road trips and have never been happy with restaurants, despite checking online reviews. The last time we went though it was so bad that afterwards we stopped at the grocery store and got makings for PBJ.

So, yes - I think your assessment of the choices there is probably spot-on.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
7. Re: Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

Swisstravler63, *in general*, the Oregon coast is not the place to find "fine dining". Yes there are some exceptions - in the larger towns such as Newport, Astoria, Florence etc , and in the very upscale town of Cannon Beach you can find fine dining. There are also occasional restaurants in much smaller towns such as the aforementioned Restaurant Beck.

However, even in our larger towns - and there is nothing here over about 10,000 people other than the Coos Bay area - dining is not as upscale as you might find in large cities.

Yachats has only 700 people, and does not have what I consider to be "fine dining". The Drift Inn has well prepared food that overall is very good, but it's an old tavern that is still rough around the edges. The Adobe has a standout view but no white tablecloths and is inconsistent - always has been.

If you want to drive the approximate 30 minutes to Newport, you will have more choices - Saffron Salmon, April's, Panache come to mind.

Crescent City? Although I don't share fiveforefun's assessment that the grocery store is the best place to eat, Crescent City has *no* upscale, fine dining restaurants. The Chart Room is probably the overall "best" place in town, with the Good Harvest maybe in second.

Crescent City is an old logging and fishing town that has a lot of interesting attractions in and around it, but it's what we call mostly "blue collar" - a working town, not upscale.

If you are going as far south as Eureka, there you will find a few fine dining choices such as Restaurant 301.

Olten, Switzerland
8. Re: Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

Thank you all for your recommendations which are helpful for me. We will see where we are going to eat when we are there. As far as Crescent City concerned, I found Kitanishi Café, a Japanese place, which isn't really fine dining (I gave up as to it, at least for Yachats and Crescent City), but sounds interesting.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 30
9. Re: Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

As I (sort of) said before, in looking only for fine dining restaurants, you're missing some of the charm of an Oregon coast experience. You'll never find places like Roseanna's in Oceanside or the Otis Cafe on any list of fine dining establishments, but both represent quintessential coast dining experiences.

I say, trust your instincts, and don't worry about travel guides or even what we say are the "best". In my experience, things are usually as they seem.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 6
10. Re: Fine dining in Yachats and its environs

We had drinks and happy hour bar menu at Ono this week. It was excellent. The bar tender knew the fine selection of gins like the PNW beer bartenders know their beers. I had not experienced that before. The martinis were exquisite. The $1 happy hour priced oyster shooters were fresh and delicious. Ditto the steamed clams. The fish and chips were not memorable. A good time was had my all on New Year's day at this lovely small place.

Reply to: Fine dining in Yachats and its environs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted