We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-2 day portland itinerary

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
1-2 day portland itinerary

Would like suggestions if you think the activities below could fit into either a one or two day schedule. It is me and my two teen daughters...we are fans of portlandia and besides seeing voodoo doughnuts would appreciate any other landmarks from the show...

Japanese Garden

Rose Test Garden

Saturday market

Rent bikes ride around town all day

Pearl District

Pittock Mansion (iffy on this)

Voodoo Doughnuts

Powells books

Forest Park

We will either arrive 6 pm on a Thurs or 3 pm on a Friday and our flight out of town leaves from PDX @ 6:10 pm Saturday.

2 replies to this topic
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 100
1. Re: 1-2 day portland itinerary

Hi, Wasabijazz,

When does this happen?

I would always opt for the extra hours if possible. 6 PM Thursday (if it hasn't passed) would allow to get a very early start on Friday.

If you wait on transit it may be hectic but car rental may make your wish list more manageable. No waiting for a bus schedule. Bicycles All Day may have to be shortened to part day, although you could bycicle to some things.

Others will be along shortly to chime in.

MrsO

Portland, Oregon
2. Re: 1-2 day portland itinerary

I'd opt for coming in on Thursday if you can. Stay in a hotel downtown (Monaco, Lucia, Marriott, Residence Inn, Paramount) and as soon as you get in and get settled, go straight to Voodoo. The lines aren't quite as bad early evening. Just don't spend two hours of your precious time in line for a pink box and donuts. The other option is to make it your last stop on the way to the airport and that way you can take warm donuts home (if they last).

With that out of the way, Friday plan to take the MAX red or blue line up to Washington Park (trimet.org). There you can see the Oregon Zoo, Japanese Gardens, Rose Gardens, Hoyt Arboretum and take a hike on any of the many Forest Park trails. You might want to stop at a deli or restaurant in downtown and pick up stuff for a picnic lunch to eat up there (I like Flying Elephants Deli in downtown). You can spend a whole day up there, but if you don't and still have time to kill, you might check out this site for other Portlandia destinations mapped for your consideration: www.travelportland.com/collection/portlandia/

One neighborhood that has some Portlandia connections and just might appeal to you and your daughters is the Mississippi Street neighborhood. You could get to it by taking the MAX yellow line toward the Expo Center (north). Get off at the Overlook Street stop and walk one block north to Failing Street. Turn right (east) and it is a several block walk with a pedestrian footbridge and continuing on you'll run into Mississippi Street. Lots of shops, restaurants, carts and just true Portlandia feel. You can just follow your steps back to the train station to head back downtown.

Saturday then, plan some walking downtown. Head to Mothers or the Bijou or Byways for breakfast. Then I'd go to Saturday Market, which I think typically opens around 10. It can get crowded and busy, so the earlier you go the better I think. Plus if you buy anything, you could stop to drop it off at your hotel before heading on to Powells (and conversely if you go to Powells first, you will want to drop off purchases rather than lug books around all day). Powell's is on the edge of the Pearl and so you and the girls may just want to wander after that...find a gelato place, go to Anthropologie, have lunch at Little Big Burger (you will never be the same after their truffle fries) and just enjoy the time until you need to take a cab to the airport.

Good luck and enjoy our city.

Edited: 9:05 pm, July 08, 2014
Reply to: 1-2 day portland itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted