We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Barbara to Portland and back...please help in planning

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
santa barbara,ca
reviews: 1
Santa Barbara to Portland and back...please help in planning

We(Me(32),my wife(26) and mom(56)) are planning to take a road trip over this long weekend. We are leaving on Thursday evening after work from Santa Barbara and plan to be back on Tuesday night.

Here is our tentative itinerary

13th : Leave SB and reach Monterey

14th : Drive Monterey to Ashland,OR

15th : Ashland,OR to Portland,OR

16th : Stay in Portland

17th : Portland to some city

18th : Some city to Santa Barbara

Now I need to fill in what to do on each day. I was hoping to use highway 5 while going to Portland and use a portion of Highway 1 while coming back. I won't have time to drive all the way on highway 1 so which portion between Portland and SF on highway 1 is most scenic ? What to see on our way from Ashland to Portland ? Where should we stay when we drive from Portland towards Santa Barbara given we have two days to make it to Santa Barbara. Family is not in a mood for hikes and the weather is pretty cold too so any sightseeing spot that is not much of walk would be nice.

We have seen Santa Barbara to San Francisco region many times so would like to skip any sightseeing spots in those areas. Please help. We start driving tomorrow and have no clue what we are going to see.

4 replies to this topic
santa barbara,ca
reviews: 1
1. Re: Santa Barbara to Portland and back...please help in planning

Now looking at the weather its kind of scaring me. Do you think its a good idea to drive out there. Will we able to sight see anything or will it all be just cloudy/foggy ? Is it too dangerous ?

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
2. Re: Santa Barbara to Portland and back...please help in planning

Honestly you don't have much time to see anything, unless all you want to do is go for a drive. this weekend looks to be pretty rainy so its likely you wont be able to see many vistas, etc. rain will be a factor for driving- not dangerous if you drive slower(55-65), but will take you longer. I-5 from Redding to Eugene is pretty scenic through the mountains- there aren't a whole lot of sites to see right next to I-5. Note that the coastal road is not hwy 1 it is hwy 101. its an 18 hour drive to take hwy 101 from Portland to Santa Barbera. I might cut over to hwy 101 at hwy 38 or 199.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 738
3. Re: Santa Barbara to Portland and back...please help in planning

>>We start driving tomorrow and have no clue what we are going to see.<<

Oh my!

I think if I were you I would scrap plans to drive all the way to Portland! Your time will be so limited and yes it will be cold and raining and generally just not very nice weather-wise.

It looks as if you will have just one day there - that's a loooong drive north and south for just one day.

What about planning to visit the north coast of Calif?

Eureka looks rainy, though, as well this coming weekend but it will be in the 60's so much warmer. Maybe stay around the wine country and sightsee more relaxed?

Or take Highway 1 up to Mendocino or Fort Bragg and spend a couple of days there?

I guess the point I am trying to make is that if you could plan a trip to Portland in the late spring, summer or fall -- and allow more time -- you would all enjoy yourselves much more!

Good luck and let us know what you decide :-)

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 24
4. Re: Santa Barbara to Portland and back...please help in planning

You've probably already decided, but if you do make this trip, it would make more sense to drive hwy 1 on the way north, since you've allowed two nights enroute. Take hwy 199 inland from Crescent City toward I-5 at Grants Pass, or if you've got time turn inland at Bandon or Reedsport. Use I-5 going home, when you won't really be looking for things to see/do, because there really isn't much that would make sense.

If it was just you and your wife, I MIGHT say go for it. But with your mom.... When my kids (and I) were younger, we made annual overnight road-trips from Portland to Los Angeles just to spend a couple days in theme parks. I can't imagine doing that today, but my kids (now 20-somethings) would probably still love it.

Edited: 10:25 am, February 13, 2014
Reply to: Santa Barbara to Portland and back...please help in planning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted