We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannon Bch, Portland, CRG Visit - Your thoughts on itinerary

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jupiter, FL
reviews: 2
Cannon Bch, Portland, CRG Visit - Your thoughts on itinerary

[Forgive redundancy - Posting to all 3 OR areas we're visiting.]

My husband, myself, and our 2 daughters (16 & 19) are excited to visit Oregon for the 1st time next month! I would truly appreciate any input on our travel plans and whether they seem doable or have left out something you feel is a must-see (or included something that you feel could be skipped!) as well as whether travel times are realistic. We love outdoor activities (although we're not extremely athletic), beautiful scenery, wildlife, but also a bit of adventure and a little city life (a movie or a show). The rest of my family is not really big into museums and history, so guided tours and that sort are out. Thanks in advance for your advice!

July 1 – Mon.

Land PDX @ 9:30PM – Drive to Bonneville Hot Springs Resort & Spa at Bonneville, WA (45 min.)

July 2 – Tues.

Bonneville HSR&Spa

Full Day Trip: Drive from Bonneville, WA to Mount Hood (1 hr. 45 min.) via Hwy. 84 to Hwy. 35 seeing the East side of the Fruit Loop along the way (Will we be missing out if we only drive down the east side and don't do the full Loop?)

Hiking – To Mirror Lake? Recommendations for easy to moderate hikes?

Waterfalls (Recommendations for drive-ups or short hikes to waterfalls?)

Timberline Lodge for dinner and sunset

Perhaps drive back to Bonneville via the west side of the Fruit Loop even though it will be dark?

July 3 – Wed.

Bonneville HSR&Spa

Full Day Trip: Multnomah Falls (1st thing to get parking) & other falls (recommendations?)

Hiking Canyon River Gorge (Recommendations for easy to moderate hikes?)

Bonneville Lock & Dam

Watch the Windsurfers/Kiteboarders

July 4 – Thurs.

Bonneville HSR&Spa

Relaxing by the pool/4th of July Festivities in Stevenson, WA (15 min.) or Corbett, OR (30 min.)

July 5 – Fri.

Schooner’s Cove Inn at Cannon Beach, OR

Drive Bonneville, WA to Sand Lake, OR (2 hrs. 45 min.)

Lunch and Dunebuggy rental at Sand Lake Tsunami

Drive up coast to Cannon Beach (1 hr. 30 min.)

Dinner and explore Cannon Beach a bit – Sunset at Haystack Rock (if low tide).

July 6 – Sat.

Horseback riding on the beach [thru Sea Ranch RV Park (near Schooner’s) or at Del Rey Beach State Rec Site (Gearhart)]

Drive Pacific Coast Highway and explore

July 7 – Sun.

Relaxing/Explore more of the coast/Bike rentals

July 8 – Mon.

Paramount or Hilton at Portland, OR

Drive Cannon Beach, OR to Portland, OR (1 hr. 30 min.)

Voodoo Donuts

Visit Rose Gardens and Japanese Gardens

Powell’s Bookstore

Pittock Mansion

Paul Bunyan Statue

July 9 – Tues.

Paramount or Hilton at Portland, OR

Bike Rentals to ride the waterfront loop, Pioneer Courthouse Square (Oaks Amusement Park open 12-9PM if kids interested...looks like it may cater to younger kids?)

OTHERWISE drive to Mt. St. Helens

July 10 – Wed.

Sadly leave PDX @ 1PM to head back to Jupiter, FL!

portland or
reviews: 47
1. Re: Cannon Bch, Portland, CRG Visit - Your thoughts on itinerary

Find some great Gorge Hikes here: http://curiousgorgeblog.wordpress.com/

You have a good plan. For Mt Hood/Timberline day, be sure to explore Gov't Camp and maybe consider the lakes along the S Side if you have extra time to hike around (Timothy, Trillium..). Definitely drive the old Gorge Hwy and visit Vista Ridge. If you want to hit Multnomah early, keep going west and you can stop and hike the falls as you go. You can get a map at Multnomah. So many great hikes and falls in this area. After Vista Ridge you can head back to Bonneville via 84 but you may want to go a bit more West to McMenamins Edgefield in Troutdale. Great place with restaurants, nice grounds, sometimes a band and a pitch and putt golf course.

Portland has so much to do and I'd also add to your list walking the riverfront and the Pearl district. Oaks Park is for very young kids so maybe consider a jet boat on the Willamette instead. Or even OMSI if you get any rain. You are doing a lot of driving so I'd probably not try to squeeze in St Helens. Have fun!

reviews: 708
2. Re: Cannon Bch, Portland, CRG Visit - Your thoughts on itinerary

Sounds very well planned! Castaway's Tini Tiki Hut or The Wayfarer are both nice places for dinner in Cannon Beach. :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 76
3. Re: Cannon Bch, Portland, CRG Visit - Your thoughts on itinerary

Hi there,

You will love the Hot Springs at Bonneville. I suggest you ask for a tub room facing the hill.. that way no one in the parking lot will a view into your room. They have pure hot springs water in the rooms but unfortunately they have to sanitize the outdoor pools. I love it there. Hot tubs in rooms are probably big enough to hold 4-6.

I think embr is referring to the Historic Columbia River Highway and you reach that by taking exit 17 in Troutdale. It will take you through the Sandy River basin past a couple of good places to eat later in the evening. You will drive through Corbett and do visit the Woman's Forum and the Vista House. The Vista House is actually 3 stories tall.. Great views all around. As you pass Lauterall Falls and others, you will get into Wahkeena Falls and then into the Multnomah Falls lot. If the lot is full, back track to Wahkeena and take the short .5 hike to Multnomah. There is a picnic area at Wahkeena. (and an osprey nest too)

After Multnomah Falls you will drive about 3 1/2 miles and rejoin 84 just past Ainsworth Park. Go east to Hood River passing Bonneville Dam and Locks.

For hiking in the area, the Forest Service uses www.nwhiker.com to view hikes, sunset time, weather, webcams and much more.

For more information, go to www.bestgorge.com to see about the area. I hope I didn't overwhelm you. I am just trying to show you the choices. in this beautiful area.

Best,

MrsO

Jupiter, FL
4. Re: Cannon Bch, Portland, CRG Visit - Your thoughts on itinerary

Hi, embr. Thanks for your suggestions. We did stop by Govt Camp on our way to Timberline Lodge as you suggested. Quaint little town and I can imagine it's hopping and beautiful in winter ski season. If Vista Ridge is same as Vista House, we did that also and were so glad we did. Spectacular views! Thanks for the Portland suggestions too. Will be finishing our trip up there beginning of next week and will check them out.

Jupiter, FL
5. Re: Cannon Bch, Portland, CRG Visit - Your thoughts on itinerary

Thanks for the dinner suggestions, syrahgirl. Heading to Cannon Beach tomorrow and will check them out!

Jupiter, FL
6. Re: Cannon Bch, Portland, CRG Visit - Your thoughts on itinerary

Thanks, Mrs. O.! Not overwhelming at all. Love to have details and "inside scoop"! We love Bonneville Hot Springs Resort too. Actually think it's prettier than Timberline Lodge. Since we didn't care to pay extra for the hot tub room, we requested a room overlooking the courtyard and it's great. Thanks for your input! We're loving your great state!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
7. Re: Cannon Bch, Portland, CRG Visit - Your thoughts on itinerary

wriedenn,

Have been reading your posts. Lots of great info. We will be there mid July. Planning to eat lunch at Timberline Lodge- maybe not too pricey for lunch!! Thanks for sharing- will look forward to a trip report!!

Jupiter, FL
8. Re: Cannon Bch, Portland, CRG Visit - Your thoughts on itinerary

Hi Peachbelle. Lunch is probably a much better way to go at Timberline and there would have been more for my kids to choose from too. My husband and kids walked up the snowy mountain a little ways before dinner and that was fun. Don't forget the water bottle! Will def do a trip report when we're back next week!

9. Re: Cannon Bch, Portland, CRG Visit - Your thoughts on itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 07, 2014