We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Portland

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 8
First time in Portland

Hi there, I am meeting up with at friend for a few days in the beginning of July. We were thinking of staying in downtown Portland but are open to suggestions. Nothing is on the itinerary yet, but we would like to explore local eats and breweries. We like to hike as well so we might just rent a car for the day. Since we are going to be there for the 4th of July I would appreciate any suggestions of where to go to view fireworks. We are only in Portland for 3 nights so we would like to get in as much as possible.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 147
1. Re: First time in Portland

Consider staying in NW Portland, The Inn at Northrup Station is reasonable, on the streetcar line and walkably close to great food. If you do not rent a car, you can have a magificent hike in Forest Park. Again, within walking distance of the Inn. I like to watch the fireworks from the south waterfront. Some folks really prefer the Vancouver shebang, for which you will need a car. Whatever you choose, Have fun!

Los Angeles
reviews: 8
2. Re: First time in Portland

Thank you for your quick response. I looked up the Inn at Northup Station and it looks really cute. Unfortunately they do no have rooms available for the time I will be there. Any other suggestions? Do you think NW Portland is better than downtown?

Antarctica
reviews: 51
3. Re: First time in Portland

If you have a car it doesn't matter where you stay -- Portland is small. If you want quirky, inexpensive, you could look at the Jupiter Hotel. Hotel Modera is nice, but probably more expensive than Northrup. Lots of boutique hotels downtown.

Forest Park/Hoyt Arboretum hiking is good, but for most other real woodsy hikes you'll need a car.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 10
4. Re: First time in Portland

On the 4th I would head to the waterfront and enjoy the blues festival. You can then take in the fireworks from there. There are too many breweries to list here but some of my favorites are Cascade Brewing's Barrel House, HUB, Hair of the Dog, and Amnesia. I have a map of all the breweries on my blog. http://wp.me/P37kyW-3f. For local eats make sure you check out the food cart scene.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

reviews: 767
5. Re: First time in Portland

Check out Hotel 50 by the waterfront. POVA has hotels with complimentary parking and free breakfast. Have fun! :)

Portland, OR
reviews: 48
6. Re: First time in Portland

It is going to be a challenge for you to find a hotel room during that time. It is the Fourth of July and people come from all over the country to go to the blues festival.

I suggest making a reservation at any hotel right now that looks halfway decent and then keep looking. Just make sure they have a cancellation policy that allows you to cancel if you find something better.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 100
7. Re: First time in Portland

As late as you are finding reservations, I would give up 3rd party vendors and call the front desk at the hotels of choice... And call often. All hotels get cancellations.,

Best of luck,

MrsO

Antarctica
reviews: 51
8. Re: First time in Portland

I'm not sure what the problem is, and Mrs. O and WindJammer are mistaken. Travelocity is showing availability for OP's dates at the Modera, Vintage Plaza, deLuxe, Fifty, as well as the usual suspects (Heathman, Benson, Nines). The Jupiter also has availability on their website. Prices are from $125 to $200/night. Not a problem if you book now.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 100
9. Re: First time in Portland

The problem is sometimes they show properties that have no availability (I have had that happen) and sometimes they say there is no room in the Inn when if you call the desk you can get a room.

Also, sometimes they will match the third party rates and throw something else like comp parking.

Try Travel Oregon or Portland Perks can save you parking costs.

MrsO

10. Re: First time in Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 16, 2014