We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
reviews: 99
Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

Hello, first let me say I did have a previous thread about where to stay in Portland but we have changed our travel plans and I could use some advice.

We now have flights booked arriving in Portland late July 5th. We would like to stay somewhere scenic most likely around the gorge/river....any suggestions? We arrive at 9:45 so we wouldn't want to travel too far, max about an hour which I believe would be around Hood River. Is this a good choice? Saturday we plan to explore the area surrounding.

Sunday we hope to see Mt. St Helens on the way to Seattle. My husband has a conference Mon, Tues, and Wed. Thursday we are returning to Portland and will most likely stay downtown and explore the great city.

(Is Hood River area - or wherever you would suggest- to Mt. St Helens on to Seattle in a day plausible) ??

Thank you so much for your advice.

1. Re: Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:33 am, April 28, 2013
London, Canada
2. Re: Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

First time around we were actually going to day trip to Mt.Hood and the Columbia RG. Now with an extra two nights we were thinking of staying somewhere in this scenic area (in addition to) So I was hoping for suggestions on where is a great area to stay along the river.

Many spots I am looking at now are fully booked already. Those locations have included Hood River and Cascade Locks.

Portland, OR
reviews: 48
3. Re: Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

Hood River is really your absolute best choice. Great restaurants, cute shops, wine tasting are all right in town. I was just in Hood River this past weekend and if I didn't work in Portland, I wouldn't mind living in HR! My best friend lives there so I go out all the time.

London, Canada
4. Re: Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

Hood River does seem to be an excellent choice, if only I could find a place to sleep! Do you have any suggestions for a VRBO or B&B because that may be the only rooms left (we are visiting the July 5-7 weekend) Bad timing but it cannot be helped.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 147
5. Re: Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

Have you checked out Skamania Lodge?

London, Canada
6. Re: Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

I did check out Skamania Lodge. Is it really worth the $299 a night for non-river view? The had only three rooms left.

There are some hotels in Troutdale that are showing some availability which is further away then we wanted to stay but we will take what we can get at this point.

Living in Canada we didn't realize we were booking on the fourth of July weekend.

Edited: 8:46 pm, April 16, 2013
Oregon
reviews: 27
7. Re: Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

I would say "no" to Troutdale. All things considered, if you cannot find a place further east, I'd spend the night in Portland.

I stayed at Skamania several years ago; it was nice but $299 nice? Boy, I dunno. The setting is more forested; no river views at all.

Have you tried across the river in Washington? White Salmon is across the river from Hood River. I googled and this place looks nice [though I know zero about it]:

http://www.innofthewhitesalmon.com/

London, Canada
8. Re: Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

I didn't realize it but I have looked at some of the Washington properties. I googled Oregon hotels or Columbia gorge and some of the hotels in WA came up. I assume there is easy access across the river back and forth or is it possible we could be looking at a lot of traffic because it will be a summer holiday weekend?

That is a possibility for us if I can find some vacancies at a reasonable rate. I may book any room at this point and then continue to try and find a cancellation leading up to our vacation.

Cascade Locks would the ideal spot, as on the Saturday we will be touring along the gorge and then Sunday heading up towards Mt. St Helens and then Seattle.

Portland, OR
reviews: 48
9. Re: Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

There is a bridge that crosses from Hood River over to the Washington side. It is a Tollbridge and the cost to cross is one dollar.

In my opinion Skamania Lodge is not worth 300 a night. I have stayed there twice but for far less than that.

Have you tried Airbnb.com?

London, Canada
10. Re: Need A Room With A View and Some Itinerary Advice Please!

I have placed a reservation at the Comfort Inn in Troutdale, it is located at the beginning of the scenic highway. Not in our top choices for certain but it at least gets good reviews and is a warm place to rest.

I will continue to look for any openings in Hood River or Cascade Locks area.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.