We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

My boyfriend and I are planning a 4 day trip to Portland around New Years. We are looking for a centrally located hotel in downtown that is easy walking distance to shopping, restaurants and attractions. We will be taking the train in and won't have a car. I prefer a modern and updated style, but would like to keep the price reasonable. I was considering the Westin or Modera.. Any suggestions or tips?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 61
1. Re: Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

Hi Cecily:

Modera is a remodel, formerly a 1950s/60s-era motel that was 'classed up' a lot a few years ago. Its location is in central downtown, but surrounding blocks are more financial/government-oriented so there aren't many restaurants or shops worth recommending in the immediate area. Westin is a few blocks north, close to Pioneer Courthouse Square, MAX/Streetcar, Pearl District... if these two are your only options I'd probably choose Westin.

Other options for modern/updated: Courtyard by Marriott @ SW 6th/Oak, Marriott City Center @ SW Broadway/Washington, Paramount @ SW Taylor/Park or (located in a neighborhood a little NW of downtown) The Inn at Northrup Station (NW Northrup/21st). Of these, all except Inn at Northrup are a very short cab or MAX ride from Union Station.

Hope that helps,

Brian

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 78
2. Re: Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

The Hotel Monaco is excellent,central and while usually pricey I have noticed good deals recently on sites like expedia as you wil be staying 3 or more nights. Easy walk to Pioneer Square or the Pearl District and access to good restaurants.

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 300
3. Re: Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

The Paramount is our usual choice when overnighting in Portland. It's right in the middle of downtown shopping and there are dozens of good restaurants with 2 or 3 blocks. It's also just a couple blocks from the Portland Art Museum and the Schnitzer Concert Hall (Pink Martini concerts - 2 shows -- on New Year's Eve. Tickets may still be available). If not, the nearby Hilton usually puts on a big NYE party.

reviews: 767
4. Re: Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

The Nines is our favorite! Check POVA for good rates that include breakfast and parking. :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 147
5. Re: Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

Both the Westin and Modera are good choices. Another option is The Inn at Northrup Station. Kind of kicky hip, in a great location for boutique shopping and wonderful food. Easy access to the streetcar and just a quick ride to downtown. Check it out.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
6. Re: Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

You prefer to keep the price reasonable. Who doesn't? What do you consider "reasonable"?

reviews: 767
7. Re: Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

The Inn @ Northrup Station is in a unique area of Portland called Nob Hill. Escape From New York Pizza, Paley's Place and Wildwood are all right there. :)

Edited: 12:38 pm, December 13, 2012
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 310
8. Re: Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

the inn at northrup station..fabulous

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 10
9. Re: Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

+1 for The Nines. It is an excellent hotel and about as centrally located as it gets.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 77
10. Re: Hotel recommendations for downtown Portland

+1 for Nines and Inn @ Northrup Station, though I prefer Northrup Station....extra large rooms and great location, right on the MAX (stops right in front of the hotel) in one of the nicest neighborhoods in all of Portland, Nob Hill. (I would also add in Caffe Mingo, Serrato, and Ken's Artisan Bakery to the list of restaurants provided earlier)....you also would be a short rail ride or 10-12 minute walk to The Pearl District, depending upon how fast you walk.

Edited: 7:57 pm, December 17, 2012