We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do @ east portland?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
things to do @ east portland?

most of the touristy portland activities seem to be close to downtown, pearl district, and the rose test garden area...

what are good things to do in northeast, central east, and southeast portland (east of pearl district)?

ALSO, what are good areas to walk around besides the garden/parks, downtown, and pearl district?

thanks!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 52
1. Re: things to do @ east portland?

There aren't many 'touristy' things on the eastside, just a whole bunch of great neighborhoods worth exploring if you like: cozy cafes and coffee shops, local restaurants, first-rate brewpubs, independent bookstores, vintage clothing shops, classic movie theaters, and so on.

Being a NE resident (Concordia), I'm partial to walks and shopping/dining on NE Alberta Street... the 20 or so block stretch from about NE 10th to NE 30th is where most of the action is. Mississippi Avenue is another great option, with a solid 5-block stretch along the street from about Fremont north to Skidmore. Peninsula Park is often overlooked as a destination garden, but it's a gorgeous one - it's sunken bowl design showcases hundreds of rosebushes and a pretty fountain (Rose Gardens in Washington Park have a better view, but Peninsula's roses are every bit as pretty IMO).

In SE, both Belmont and Hawthorne Streets have long stretches of shopping and restaurants. Laurelwood Park is a beauty, if you need some urban 'nature'. Both streets and the park are quite walkable & safe.

Those are pretty general ideas on what to do east of the river; if you need suggestions on places to shop, eat, drink or be entertained then please post again with some of your tastes & interests...

Cheers,

Brian

Dallas, Texas
2. Re: things to do @ east portland?

oooh what are good brewpubs and vintage shops (clothing and/or antique)?!

thanks for your helpful input!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
3. Re: things to do @ east portland?

Oooooh, one of those I can answer really well... the other? Here's a link! shopvintageportland.com/files/n-ne-se-shop-v… :)

The brewpub question is easier for me... I *highly recommend* Hair of the Dog (on SE Yamhill, just across the Morrison Bridge from downtown); Cascade Barrel House (best if you like 'wild'/sour/barrel-aged beer) on SE Belmont around 9th; Breakside Brewery in NE 'Woodlawn' neighborhood and Burnside Brewery on E Burnside/7th. Also, try Laurelwood (NE Sandy/51st), Hopworks Bike Bar (N Williams), New Old Lompoc-5th Quadrant (also N Williams), or Amnesia (N Mississippi Ave @ Beech). A couple good beer bars in SE: Horse Brass Pub on SE Belmont (a 'British' classic) and APEX on SE Division (no food and cash only - buy burritos next door or vegan across the street, among nearby places). If in downtown, Bailey's Taproom is a 'must'.

B

Oregon
reviews: 41
4. Re: things to do @ east portland?

I would second Brian's recommendations of Laurelwood Brewery and the legendary Horse Brass Pub; otherwise, my favorite breweries are on the west side. There are also some new and interesting eateries on MLK boulevard. Cedo's falafel cafe comes to mind. As Brian noted, there really is not much for tourists on the east side other than some lovely parks (Laurelhurst) and the above mentioned neighborhoods. The Lloyd Center was at one time the world's largest shopping center, but that was long ago.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
reviews: 19
5. Re: things to do @ east portland?

I think msbulldog is my "brother from another mother". ;-)

I also really like Cascade - and while it's primary fan base is those who like sours, there are plenty of beers for everyone. My husband found a couple that he really liked there (especially one that is a Timbers tribute).

While you are there, be sure to mosey across the street to Green Dragon. 50 taps! 50!! And there's a "secret" one too, so be sure to ask about it (Tap 19). Skip the botanical beers brewed there, though.

I wasn't a fan of Burnside's beer but I did like their food. Opposite goes for Lompoc - I found their food to be overrated but the beers were pretty good.

Amnesia (Mississippi) is another favorite. They are brewing pretty good Belgian beers.

Bazi, Horse Brass, and Belmont are all places on my "to do" list but I haven't visited yet.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
6. Re: things to do @ east portland?

I goofed on 'Laurelwood' Park in Post #1... it's definitely 'LaurelHURST' ... was thinking one thing and typing another.

five: I saw your trip report and never replied, but I TOTALLY agree that Burnside's Cohiba wrap is phenomenal - we get it every time we visit. I'm sure our paths will cross in a pub or taproom someday! :)

Re: Breakside Brewery (mentioned in Post #3), we spent an hour hanging out with the owner and brewer last week; they let us try some of the EIGHT beers they'd just sent off for judging at Great American Beer Fest in Denver. If they don't come home with some medals I'll be shocked... some of these beers are still on-tap, so I extra-recommend this place for OP/tiffany c since I see your trip is soon. :)

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
reviews: 19
7. Re: things to do @ east portland?

I'm sure we will hit a couple of breweries when we come over for the marathon in October (I'm spectating not running)... I'll add Breakside to our to do list!

msbulldog if you ever come over to Bend... you're in for a treat. We have some pretty good beer over here too.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
8. Re: things to do @ east portland?

Sorry to send the conversation sideways...

five: Yes, we did Bend this past Memorial Day ( for the first time since 2006!) & hit Boneyard, 10 Barrel, Bend Brewing, Silver Moon and Brother Johns, plus stayed/ate/drank at Old St Francis and saw 2 shows at Les Schwab ( The Shins and Tenacious D). It was a terrific weekend!!! Some good friends moved to Bend earlier this summer, so we'll be down more frequently now...

Again, sorry to go off tangent...

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 141
9. Re: things to do @ east portland?

Hawthorne and Belmont Streets from (Cesar Chavez) 39th on down to about 12th make for great mosey's. Lots interesting shops. Mt Tabor is a wonderful place to hike and Laurelhurst Park is beautiful. For incredible Portland music check out the Laurelthirst on NE Glisan at about 28th. Have fun!

brooklyn nyc
reviews: 3
10. Re: things to do @ east portland?

I am not certain but isn't the Kennedy School in northeast? (because I think that is definitely a worthwhile destination just to see it and the restaurants/pub are quite good!!!

and they have movies.