We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General opinion of Laurelhurst and N/NE Portland in general

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 2
General opinion of Laurelhurst and N/NE Portland in general

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks for all of the time and effort spent by all of those who resond to post. It is really helpful for anyone considering traveling to, or moving to Portland.

My wife and I (and our 4 month old baby boy) will hopefully be moving to Portland sometime this summer. I am visiting for a spell in April, with the intent of scounting out neighborhoods in which for us to buy a home. My wife and I both grew up in L.A., and although L.A. has its pluses, it is definitely not a good place to raise children. Teaching in a public high school, and seeing all of the difficulties and challenges my students face just by growing up in L.A., is very disheartening.

I have been doing a lot of research online regarding property and various neighborhoods, and Laurelhurst sounds fantastic. The architecture of the homes looks great, it has a great park, and the local elementarty school is top notch. Plus, the community seems very civically minded (as are my wife and I). It all seems too good to be true! I was hoping that some of you locals could give me some insight into the neighborhood and NE Portland in general.

Any responsese will be appreciated,

Stephen

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 17
1. Re: General opinion of Laurelhurst and N/NE Portland in general

Hi Lucero,

We just moved to Portland in Aug and still hardly know our way around. I will keep this at the top and wait til someone knows more but did want to say that we have been through Laurelhurst in our wanderings and I have looked at houses online and it is a beautiful part of town.

The houses are indeed, charming, wonderful examples of their time period, bungalows and Arts and Crafts..they mostly all have gardens that I covet and the whole neighborhood looks clean and well loved.

As I am learning about the area, I see that you pay dearly for areas like that, there might be a neighborhood next door that is not so wonderful and you lose property size, but it is definitely worth your time to look into ( in my opinion)..

I hae 2 realtors who help me..one is joanne forman, she has a web site, try joann f at teleport dot com.

Then we have windemere realty group, very helpful with giving you a direction to go in.

I am told the market is still very hot, houses do not stay on the market for very long at all and prices are still a bit on the over-side.

Good luck, ask away, we love to advise LOL

Scarlett

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 17
2. Re: General opinion of Laurelhurst and N/NE Portland in general

*sorry, that would be joanne forman dot com. The above is her email addy.

Portland, Oregon
3. Re: General opinion of Laurelhurst and N/NE Portland in general

I'm a loonnnggg-time SW Portland suburb resident. If my wife and I ever decide to move back into the city, Laurelhurst will be in our top 3 of areas to look.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 147
4. Re: General opinion of Laurelhurst and N/NE Portland in general

Laurelhurst is a beautiful neighborhood. And the local gradeschool is excellent. Having lived in that neighborhood I highly recommend it for charm, safety, easy access to all things Portland, and property resale value.

NE Portland covers a lot of territory. Laurelhurst, Alameda and Irvington are the nicest residential areas, in my opinion. Inner Northeast, below about 7th Avenue is an area coming out of decline and now on the rise but some problems still exist.

reviews: 680
5. Re: General opinion of Laurelhurst and N/NE Portland in general

I agree with the above. The Alameda area is also very nice. Laurelhurst is an older area, but very nice.

NE is a big area - more of it is not that good than is good, IMHO, but these areas you're mentioning are among the nicer areas.

Good place to live, I think. Can be spendy though.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 14
6. Re: General opinion of Laurelhurst and N/NE Portland in general

<<NE is a big area - more of it is not that good than is good, IMHO, but these areas you're mentioning are among the nicer areas.

>>

I have to disagree with this. Northeast Portland, for the most part is quite nice. There are older areas and, yes, there are a few areas of NE Portland that I would avoid as far as living there.

NE Portland does cover a large area from the Willamette River to the border with Gresham...from the Columbia River on the north to Burnside Street on the South.

SE Portland is far larger than NE.

I grew up in the Alameda district. It can be very spendy as can Irvington and Laurelhurst as they are "trendier" right now and have larger homes, for the most part.

There are many great parts of NE Portland (as well as the rest of the city). A good realtor can direct you to the area that will best suit your wants and needs.

Los Angeles
reviews: 2
7. Re: General opinion of Laurelhurst and N/NE Portland in general

Thanks so much for all of the responses. Laurelhurst, Irvington, and Alameda were the three main areas in NE Portland I am interested in, so I was very pleased with the overall positive responses.

I am definitely going to spend a significant amount of time in all of these areas to get a feel for the unique nature of each one.

Thanks again,

Stephen