We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 3
Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

We are arriving Wednesday and staying thru Sunday with our 3 and 6 year old girls. We are not renting a car except for possibly one day trip. We are staying at the Embassy Suites Downtown. I'm looking for places to eat around there that would be an easy walk or bus/MAX ride back to the hotel, since the kids are usually just about ready for bed after dinner. The kids are fairly adventerous eaters for their age, the 6 year adores salmon and sushi but I don't want anything too fancy where we would be disturbing someone's romantic interlude!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 61
1. Re: Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

Hi Vicki:

The closest good restaurant I can think of is the one in Embassy Suites lobby, Portland Steak & Chophouse. Maybe a little upscale for the kids, but I think you could find a place where they wouldn't disturb others and the menu should make you all happy...plus you can't beat the proximity to your room...

Mother's Bistro at SW Stark/2nd (about 2 blocks from the hotel) serves excellent food at all hours (breakfast/lunch only on Sundays & closed Mondays); you and the kids should be happy here. They can get crowded esp. at lunch and on weekends, so call ahead for a reservation.

Across from Embassy is Bijou Cafe (SW 3rd/Pine) - they have terrific breakfasts and lunches made with local ingredients. The staff is very nice and should be accommodating for the kids, too.

If you want to take the family for sushi, I guess I'd recommend Todai at Pioneer Place in downtown (4 blocks away), though I really am not a big fan of the whole buffet sushi thing. A better sushi choice IMO is Mio (NW 23rd/Johnson), but that is a 5 minute cab ride from downtown.

There are a couple seafood restaurants close to the hotel, McCormick & Schmick's (1st/Oak) which has a wide selection of seafood dishes but is a bit old and stuffy feeling. Also, Dan & Louis Oyster Bar (1st/Ankeny) is good for a laid back bowl of chowder or fish & chips; it's a kitschy old place too, walls covered with plates and memorabilia dating back for decades.

If you do need a slice of pizza or sandwich, try Pizza Scmizza (SW Taylor/betw.5th & 6th or in Fox Tower along Yamhill) or Elephant's Deli in Fox Tower. And if you need it, there's a 'food court' below Pioneer Place mall...

I'm glad to hear your kids are 'adventurous' eaters, not settling for the pizza/chicken fingers/burgers... :)

Have a great trip!

Brian

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 17
2. Re: Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

Hi Vicki, Hi Brian :)

Henrys Tavern serves a good California roll and Spicey Tuna roll and that menu has a large variety of dishes for everyone. Kids are always welcome. It would be an easy streetcar ride from downtown..

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 61
3. Re: Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

Scarlett, sometimes I forget that Henry's has a restaurant, too...I've only eaten in the bar area or on the back patio in the summmer... :) They have great Happy Hour food daily and a long beer list too, Vicki, if either of you are into that...

From the hotel, Henry's is about a 9 block walk, the streetcar/MAX ride seems a little convoluted unless you're already out. Another idea near Henry's is Mio Gelato on 11th between Burnside & Couch (btw, not affilliated with Mio SUSHI...); they make awesome gelato - I could eat it day or night, regardless if it's summer or winter...

California
reviews: 3
4. Re: Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

Thanks everyone. Great suggestions. I used to go up to Portland quite frequently as a Willamette U. student some 15 years ago so I'm familiar with the layout of downtown, but planning for a trip with kids is a somewhat different experience than a night on the town with fellow 21 year olds.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
5. Re: Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

I don't have much to add, except that I agree with the other suggestions. Our kids love Henry's, Mother's and Mio Gelato. Oh...Mama Mia's is East Coast Italian food, and is owned by the same lady as Mother's and would be a good spot if your kids like Italian. Very nice lady and she makes everyone feel very welcome.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
6. Re: Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

Hi Vicki :)

Hi Brian :)

Hi mtngrl :)

Mio Gelato - chocolate menthe. Regardless of the temperature outside, I love it. My husband stands and shivers watching me eat in on a chilly day LOL

Yes, Henrys has an excellent restaurant. We go there about once a week, sometimes just for a soup and sandwich kind of dinner, although their Ahi Tuna dinner is so good!

It is always bustling and cheerful and the booths are very comfortable.

I almost went to the Sushi place on NW 21st today..I saw they had Spicy chicken bowls..how good is that on a chilly wet day ?!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 147
7. Re: Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

The Embassy Suites Hotel in downtown Portland has a great restaurant adjacent. Other options in early evening walking distance are Piazza Italia around 12th and Johnson in the Pearl, PF Chang's around 12th and Couch.

Napa Valley...
reviews: 23
8. Re: Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

Vicki,

We stayed at that hotel last month. The restaurant downstairs has an amazing "happy hour" (really 3-6pm and all day Sunday) in which you can buy small plates of WONDERFUL food for a couple of dollars. We had our 8yo with us so we sat at the tables just inside the hotel from the restaurant. We FEASTED every day. And if you like chocolate, the "truffle bites" are to die for!

By the way, definitely bring your bathing suits. The indoor pool is gorgeous and very warm, perfect for children.

Enjoy!

reviews: 767
9. Re: Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

Hi Vicki! Also in the Pearl Disrict is Pho Van Bistro. Very upscale place with excellent food and service. We had a very nice lunch there while we were in Portland. Hope you have a great time! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
10. Re: Restaurants around Embassy Suites?

If you want seafood in downtown, look into Southpark.

If you haven't looked at it yet, read the Lets Talk about Eating Out in Portland thread, you can get plenty of locals recommending neighborhood places..in addition to those restaurants that are often recommended to tourists.

Brians recommendation for Todai is a good one. We were there today- the place was packed at lunch..it is a very large space and everyone brings their children.

I am sure if you check on City Search-Portland, ( a lot of people here do) you will get some ideas about the menu ( seafood/shushi/buffet)

Arriving Wednesday... like tomorrow??? LOL Hope you see this before you leave !

Have a great time in Portland, the weather is beautiful!