We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Portland

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
First Time in Portland

Please help us make the perfect vacation. We are a young, active couple and are super excited to visit Portland. Love the urban scene as well as the outdoors.

Your suggestions about where to stay and what to do would be most helpful.

Thanks.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
11. Re: First Time in Portland

On your way from Portland to Eugene, stop outside of Salem at Silver Creek Falls for some great hiking.

The suggestion for hiking at Forest Park is great. We park near the Vietnam Memorial (near the zoo) and hike up to Pittock Mansion. Much better than driving since it is so scenic.

Although I am a local and so do not normally stay at hotels here, I did recently stay at the 5th Avenue Suites. I was with a bunch of girlfriends and we had a great time and the hotel could not have been any better. It truly was wonderful! The location, the staff, the room, the valet parking (on site), and even the restaurant (Red Star Tavern). The hotel even has yoga tapes available for you for in your room.

Syrahgirl--The Heathman had a high tea yesterday for an authors event. Glad you made it to the London Grill. It has been around for ages and is a nice place. I have not been for a couple years, but we enjoyed it when we were there.

reviews: 740
12. Re: First Time in Portland

newatx, we were at the Portland Saturday Market yesterday. It's great fun. We enjoyed the music, arts and crafts and commaradarie there. It also runs on Sundays if you aren't able to make it on a Saturday. :)

USA
reviews: 3
13. Re: First Time in Portland

If you are here during berry season, stop at one of the farmers markets (there's one downtown on the south park blocks on Saturday mornings starting at 8:30 a.m.). Strawberries are in season now, and you can't get those sweet Hood berries far from the Northwest. Music, sometimes cooking demonstrations, and plenty of stalls to sell you delicious breakfast or lunch, too. If you come, you'll want to move here.

Northern California
reviews: 6
14. Re: First Time in Portland

Just got back from Portland yesterday. We stayed at the Hilton Executive Towers - it was fine, though the location was great! We did lots of shopping around town. Our favorite finds: Mother's Bistro, Rock Bottom Brewery, The Melting Pot - very cool fondue restaurant, and the Portland River Company where we rented a double kayak for two hours and paddled our way around a small island on the river- fun!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 145
15. Re: First Time in Portland

Another hotel option is The Governor. Newly refurbished with old world charm. Everyone else has filled you in on the outdoors options. What kind of music do you like? Portland is a city of excellent musicians. If you tell us what you like, we can tell you where to find it!

oregon
16. Re: First Time in Portland

hi! we stayed at hilton executive towers and while it was very nice ,great location , we were treated very rudely by several staff members, from being ignored, all the way to being yelled at by parking attendant.

oregon
17. Re: First Time in Portland

forgot to mention we went on the portland spirit dinner cruise it was lots of fun and there were lots of couples having a romantic evening. food was good ,you can buy special romance and b-day packages.www.portlandspirit.com.

Scottsdale
18. Re: First Time in Portland

I grew up in Oregon and now live in AZ - every time I come up to visit I stay at the Westin - you can't beat the location and price. Clean, heavenly beds, and very quiet rooms. A close cab ride or morning walk to the Pearl to get coffee, breakfast and read the Oregonian. Torrefazione or Pearl Bakery are both in the Pearl. The NW is all about its coffee!

The Westin is also six or so blocks from the waterfront which is an excellent morning run (there is a 3 mile loop or you can run down the west side the entire time to make it up to 15 miles - the front desk can give you directions). Also check out to see if you will be in town during a Nike running event - alot of them kick off right downtown.

The posts here about restaurants are dead on - the restaurants in the NW can't be beat. If you love the urban scene, check out the Pearl and NW 23rd for shopping, people watching and dining. For hiking or relaxation, check out Washington Park, which is above NW 23rd. You can spend the entire day up in NW. Multnomah Falls is also a great spot to visit!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
19. Re: First Time in Portland

http://portlandtribune.com/pearl/

Hi

We are moving to Portland next week and I was sent this site by a friend in Portland.

The Pearl is a fun area, you can take the Streetcar from any downtown hotel to the Pearl without having to pay a fare..

The Westin is beautiful!

The 5th Ave Suites are charging $159 for King Suites so you might be able to see about a smaller room for less...I hear this is their busy time.

Watch out, we visited last year and now we are moving there :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 145
20. Re: First Time in Portland

Check the Mallory Hotel, downtown for good prices, location and service. Plus access to public transport. For the best local live music I would suggest wandering over the Burnside Bridge a few blocks to the Laurelthirst Tavern on 28th and Glisan. Easy, inexpensive cab ride. Nice walk. The best of Portland musicians play there every night starting at 6 PM (free happy hour) and 9 PM (cover charge). Not a fancy place, come as you are.