We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY Times Portland Article

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 40
NY Times Portland Article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17611148/

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
1. Re: NY Times Portland Article

A bookish, artsy city, Portland today is most famous for its gardens and unrelentingly nice weather.

Hmmm "unrelentingly nice" wonder when author was here.

Morning and three gardens is a bit rushed.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 40
2. Re: NY Times Portland Article

Phirl, to be honest, I only scanned the article! Here, just NE of Seattle, the only thing relentless has been the rain. Love the NW.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 4
3. Re: NY Times Portland Article

unrelentingly nice?

Don't tell anyone but this Californian tends to agree....last summer was the best summer of my life and this winter has been a piece of cake. The snow was the icing on the cake.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
4. Re: NY Times Portland Article

Odd. The article says it was last updated 2 days ago. And obviously the article was not written about a recent trip, lol!

The author is supposedly Pauline Frommer, and she personally helped me out a few years ago with something, so I guess I can cut her some slack;)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
5. Re: NY Times Portland Article

Pauline Frommer??

I read the whole article, which was ok but agenda a bit rushed. However if I did not know portland would be a bit suspect of story with a lead in that is a little overdone.

My d-i-l from San Diego. This is her third winter in NW. She is no complainer, they have been in Omaha and Japan, but don't think I would tell her weather was unrelenting nice. They were without power for 4 days in fall.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
6. Re: NY Times Portland Article

phirl--I think the funniest part is that the article is new...but talking about like the rose gardens which are pretty drab this time of year. But then again, other magazine, even Sunset, have some pretty misleading articles on places. So when I read articles such as these I don't give them much credence.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
7. Re: NY Times Portland Article

Mtngrl

Right. I tend to ignore Sunset articles for any trip planning, kind of fun to read what they say about local places.

Only travel magazine I use much for trip planning is Budget Travel which has some good tips on how to save money.

We have dropped all other travel magazines, though we still take sunset, since it is sort of local.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
8. Re: NY Times Portland Article

phirl--After reading articles in Sunset about two places I have lived, and seeing how ridiculous the write up was, I learned quickly:) I love Budget Travel too! Great magazine, and pretty entertaining too.