We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Newport

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
portland
reviews: 2
Where to stay in Newport

We will be staying three nights in Newport in October. We are looking for an ocean front hotel. Have looked at reviews for Nye Beach Inn, Hallmark Inn and Elizabeth Street Inn. Can't seem to decide. Any recommendations? Do all have easy access to a beach?

7 replies to this topic
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
1. Re: Where to stay in Newport

All are considered oceanfront up on a bluff. Access to beach is down stairs. The Inn at Nye Beach (formerly Greenstone Inn) is the newest, Elizabeth Street Inn is next and the oldest is the Hallmark at about 15 years or so to the best of my memory. (I live nearby and watched all of them being built.) Inn at Nye Beach was built to be eco-friendly. It was recently sold to a large corporation and has just been refurbished. The Hallmark is the farthest from Nye Beach area but it's still within fairly easy walking distance and it's also the largest of the three. They get lots of groups there.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
2. Re: Where to stay in Newport

We have personally stayed at the Elizabeth Street Inn several times and enjoy it. The rooms are spacious and include a fireplace and sitting area, as well as the small balcony. They include breakfast, but we always go elsewhere for that. To get to the beach, you either go next door to the Shilo where there are around 80 steps down to the beach, or walk a block to the Nye Beach entrance. That entrance has a paved ramp that goes down. There is another entance at the main parking lot for Nye Beach, which is just a tad bit further.

portland
reviews: 2
3. Re: Where to stay in Newport

I appreciate the information. We are leaning towards the Elizabeth Street Inn and just wanted to make sure that there was easy beach access and it sounds like there is. Hallmark had very little availability and the reservationist told me that it was because they booked large groups. I think we'll enjoy something a little smaller.

Penticton, Canada
reviews: 5
4. Re: Where to stay in Newport

Hi

we just landed at the Hallmark Inn in Newport; the 2 queen with fireplace on 3rd floor is amazing; very modern and not abused. Almost full kitchen with dishes and dishwasher if you wanted to make a meal. The layout is really nice with great oceanfront location. We have only been making reservations 1 day ahead because our route is flexible so we called yesterday from the Willamette Valley because online reservations do not work 48hrs before the date on the Hallmark web site. We used Skype minutes to make the call to avoid roaming charges. Since we are staying starting a Monday there was room at the Inn. Not sure if it would work for a weekend.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
5. Re: Where to stay in Newport

This week we stayed 1 night at Inn at Nye beach and 2 nights at Little Creek Cove. That last one is not a hotel but there are condo's. They are at beach level but no elevator for 2nd and 3rd floor. Inn at Nye Beach was great. Very helpfull staff and a big room facing the beach and the ocean. But you have to take the stairs down to the beach. Don't forget to have something to eat and drink at Nana's Irish Pup on walkable distance from Inn at Nye beach.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
6. Re: Where to stay in Newport

>the reservationist told me that it was because they booked large groups.<

Yes, see last sentence of post #1 ... lol ;-)

We often eat at Nana's as we enjoy their outdoor patio and they have great food. Then it's a short stroll down to Nye Beach Sweets for dessert!

Oregon
reviews: 40
7. Re: Where to stay in Newport

Elizabeth Street Inn is our favorite, has been for years. Even one time when there was a significant problem, the manager was immediately on it to solve the issue. Nice stroll down to Nye Beach area and close walk to eat dinner at Georgie's Grill. If you call Eliz St for the reservation, ask about specials on the phone especially if you're going mid-week. Sometimes they don't advertise them - you have to ask. :)

Reply to: Where to stay in Newport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted