We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boerne, Texas
reviews: 7
Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

I have maps and charts to tell me the approximate "driving times" between towns, but how much "real" time do you need to see all there is to see there? We like to stop and take pictures, actually see the towns instead of just driving thru. We are from Texas and have never been to Oregon so we want to take in as much of your beauty as we can. We are driving from Portland to San Francisco in eight days. We are not short on time and could change our plane tickets to give us more days if needed. We are seniors and are interested in Lighthouses, scenery and restaurants.

Thanking all of you in advance for your help. We leave Texas on the 24th of July.

13 replies to this topic
Missouri
reviews: 29
1. Re: Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

When you say "in eight days", are you including your flight days? If so, you probably have more like six days of actual driving time. We are planning to spend six driving days exploring the Oregon Coast and the Redwoods, because that is all the time we could squeeze in. Quite frankly, I think that I could have easily scheduled at least two or three days more and still had plenty to see. We are spending two days in Redwood Country, but I can easily see a third day. I'll bet that with just a little planning, you can easily find more time to spend, especially if you want to "take your time" and not rush.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 738
2. Re: Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

Hi, well, each town and area has attractions of varying types . . . plus just the drive itself has hundreds of places to pull off and enjoy the scenery!

Have you looked at each town name usingthe search box at the top right of each TripAdvisor page? Additionally, this website should give you an idea of what the various towns are like:

http://www.oregoncoasttravel.net/

I was also wondering if your 8 days is "net" or includes time in both big cities?

Boerne, Texas
3. Re: Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

Thank you for your reply. We are spending a total of 10 days, 2 days for plane travel. We arrive late on the first day and leave early the 10 day. Your perspective has helped alot.

Boerne, Texas
4. Re: Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

Thank you. We are spending a large part of the day in Portland, just to see the city, then off to Astoria. Hoping to make it to Newport the next day, but don't want to rush and miss anything. Is the traffic bad on the highway that runs along the coast? What is the speed limit? I suppose it varies from town to open road. We've already "done" San Francisco before so we are probably not going to spend much time there. Just the night before to we can get on the plane early. It looks like the last part of the coast is not as populated as the northern part so I'm thinking travel might be faster there.

UK
reviews: 17
5. Re: Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

Hi Jenny,

Can't offer any advice I am afraid but do hope you have a great time. We are doing the same trip as you in September - our first visit to NW USA. We have eight nights to get from Vancouver to San Francisco. Really looking forward to seeing the wonderful scenery and also the odd lighthouse or two. Please do report back after your trip and let us know how it went.

Cheers

Missouri
reviews: 29
6. Re: Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

Here is a sample six-day itinerary between Portland and SF:

tripadvisor.com/…42430161

Please note that it does not include any significant time in either city. It is also based on a series of short hikes each day with not much time in towns. The plan is to buy a cheap cooler at Walmart or Walgreens and pack picnic lunches each day so that we don't have to search for a place to eat lunch. Please feel free to modify to fit your particular interests.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
7. Re: Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

I think Astoria deserves most of a day. Lots of history there with several Lewis and Clark sites, a world class Maritime museum, and Fort Stevens is historic. It is a river town not a beach town. Also Newport deserves some time with Marine Science Center and an aquarium, historic bayfront is nice, two lighthouses. Big beach. A whale watching trip from Depoe Bay can be fun.

Many possible stops Astoria to Newport, Tillamook Cheese factory, Not sure I would try three Capes when you are trying for Newport. Depoe Bay has whale watch center and spouting horn, tiny harbor. couple of rocky inlets south of Depoe Bay. Devils Punch Bowl is good.

Then from Yachats to Florence you hit the good coast. can make several stops. top of Cape Perpetua great views. try dune buggy ride near Florence.

Bandon very nice stop and could be good night place.

The Port Orford to Brookings probably our best coast. check Samuel Boardman SP site for the best stops

Boerne, Texas
8. Re: Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

Sounds like a plan!! Thank you so much. I'm new to this forum and I can't tell you how helpful it is. I was wondering about the area south of Newport and you really helped there. I just changed our reservations to allow 2 more days so we won't miss anything!

Boerne, Texas
9. Re: Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

Great! I just changed our travel time to add a couple more days so we won't miss anything. I'll be happy to let you know how it went for us after we get back. Please remind me though with a post, it will show up in my e mail. We made the trip from L.A. to San Francisco last year and only had about 8 days. We had to leave before we saw everything and tours take time. The scenery was great, but I think the Portland to San Francisco trip will be even better.

Jenny

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
10. Re: Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time

I suggest you drive into Cannon Beach and take a look, probably our most famous beach town. You will probably want to tell friends you saw it. I understand most places have a 2 night minimum. In your kind of trip CB not worth two nights.

Reply to: Daily Travel time to see the Oregon Coast for the first time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted