We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal day trips from Newport?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa Canada
reviews: 2
Coastal day trips from Newport?

Have booked condo rental in Newport for a week in September. I will have seen Portland and area (including day trip to Astoria) the week before. Looking for scenic drives and towns to explore within a couple of hours of Newport - just to enjoy scenery, walk a bit and have lunch. Welcome any suggestions.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
1. Re: Coastal day trips from Newport?

North, you can easily get as far as Tillamook within two hrs. You could make a short loop out of it by taking the Three Capes Scenic Drive. Between Newport and Tillamook the "highlights" for me would be Depoe Bay and Neskowin.

South, up to two hrs, has far more to see/do in my opinion. First, the drive itself, especially from Yachats to just north of Florence is considered one of the top three most scenic sections of the Oregon Coast, with plenty of places to pull off and enjoy the scenery, take a beautiful hike or a stroll along an isolated beach. Starting just south of Florence is the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area (ODNRA), that runs 45 miles all the way to North Bend, and 12 miles SW of Coos Bay/North Bend is Sunset Bay/Shore Acres/Cape Arago State Parks, which is an incredibly beautiful area.

Ottawa Canada
2. Re: Coastal day trips from Newport?

Great sounding suggestions. Thank you.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
3. Re: Coastal day trips from Newport?

Den has pretty well captured it. I can make a couple of adds.

Not sure if you get Tillamook cheese in Ottawa, but for me best cheese there is. so try some at the cheese plant in Tillamook. they also have good ice cream

Dune buggies can be fun out of Florence.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
4. Re: Coastal day trips from Newport?

You can also go inland a bit and get off the main highway :-)

From Newport, take the Bay Road east to Toledo. Note the remains of the old railroad tracks - that was originally the only way to get to Newport. Very pleasant drive.

From Toledo, you can cross Hwy 20 and see Siletz, then keep going north and you'll come out back on Hwy 101 just south of Lincoln City. By the way, you could also drive up to Drift Creek Falls, inland from Lincoln City, maybe as part of this day's drive :-)

Or, from Siletz, go to Moonshine Park for a picnic! Turn east onto Logsden Road, drive about 8 miles until you reach the Logsden store. Cross the bridge and turn left onto Moonshine Park Road and the park is about 4 miles farther. It's right on the Siletz River.

For a short loop, go south on 101 from Newport, turn east at Beaver Creek Road (it's the road at Ona Beach). Follow that to South Beaver Creek and turn right. you'll come out on Bayview Road and if you turn right you'll go back to Hwy 101. Early evenings you may see elk along here.

From Yachats, take Yachats River Road inland for about 8 miles or so. Turn left on the gravel road, and you'll see the covered bridge in a bout a mile. It's a very pretty drive up the valley. Return the same way, or you can take the gravel road up the back way to Cape Perpetua, but I have not been on that road this year so cannot recommend it as it may be rough.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g52148-d19…

Lincoln County (Newport is the county seat) has several day use parks.... www.co.lincoln.or.us/lcparks/parks.html

Farther north, if you go inland on Hwy 18 a few miles, at Otis you'll see a road to the north. (Just east of the pasture with the draft horses, lol) Take that - it's old Hwy 101 circa 1930's. It comes out on present day 101 near Neskowin.

From Newport, if you go north to Depoe Bay, be sure to take Otter Crest Loop on your way back... tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g51838-d35…

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
5. Re: Coastal day trips from Newport?

When I was growing up in Toledo, if you chose to take the river route to Newport, you had to drive across those trestles. Had to wait your turn as I recall. no guard rails. kind of scary

Ottawa Canada
6. Re: Coastal day trips from Newport?

Will certainly print this thread and bring with me as lots of possibilities. Thanks all.

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 300
7. Re: Coastal day trips from Newport?

You could also take Hwy 20 inland to the Corvallis area and visit some of the very good wineries there (particular favorites are Cardwell Hill, a couple miles off 20 a short ways west of Philomath and Benton-Lane, south of Corvallis via Hwy 99W). Corvallis (home to Oregon State University) has several nice options for lunch. Just don't do it on a Saturday -- college football season will be underway and the town will be packed with fans if the Beavers are playing at home.

8. Re: Coastal day trips from Newport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 14, 2014